Discussion Windows 11?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endre

Reputable
are we sure the leaked iso of win 11 is real and not just a hack?

I am sitting on fence until its official.

I haven't seen anything that makes me want it yet. the new start menu? wow. i hardly ever use start menu as is, most days i only open it to shut pc off. New icons... really, so we paying for a new UI? what else? rumour is it removes control panel. no loss to me. they been moving that direction ever since 10 was released. 11 is a tiny step as far as I can see. Give me a full motion desktop or something truly useful. Not more half made features... but this is MS, half made features is their business.

I have bought every other version (except 8) pretty much right away since ME days, so I don't know. it just doesn't seem necessary
I know marketing, new shiny and all that, but win 10's update method meant you could just change it to be whatever you want it to be.
Guess you can't charge same 1 billion people again for a spray paint job of the UI then, can you.

Its funny they can sell it based on a theme when in 95 I had so many free themes its not funny. Progress?

The leaked .ISO is not even a beta version. We’ll have to wait for the official release.

Control Panel won’t go away with Win11.

If we’ll be able to buy a Win11 Pro license with just $10, then I’ll buy it.

USAFRet

Titan
The leaked .ISO is not even a beta version.
And yet, as always, the endless speculation here.

Is it going to be free?
Will I have to do a reinstall?
Should I install it now?
blah de blah....

And then the uniformed speculative 'answers'.
"I'll bet it will be a subscription."
"It sux!"
"I'll never leave XP!!!"
"More spyware!" (sent from the eternal tracking device in his pocket)

WAY too early to be asking those questions.

Reactions: Endre

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 11 must have feature... Widgets on a slide out panel on left side of monitor...

Progress, in win 7 they were on right hand side, they have finally moved the start menu to middle to make Mac users feel at home, and put a stupid widget window there to fill in half the screen.

this dev build iso thing is all fluff. Its "look at all this stuff, isn't it pretty. animated desktop icons... transitions" but no actual new features. Just recycled ideas from Apple and WIn 7.

wonder what happens if you move taskbar to left hand side of screen. Not everyone uses the traditional approach. Where do the side menus pop out from then?

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Yes, that was one of the original statements.

Times change. Marketing changes.
Its just a name.

IMHO, this should just have been Win 10 21H2.
But they chose to call it "11".

Name makes no difference. Except to the screeching harpies who proclaim this to be the end of the world.
but wont that mean you would have to pay for another version of windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't install dev build on anything other than vm right now, having seen the ltt video where they gamed on it as well.

MS will at least know the email addresses of some of the people who used it as many logged into their MSA while using it.

I wonder how many USB sticks they had to lose before enough of the right people found it. lack of security with iso or free marketing?
One way to get people talking about your press conference before it happens.

I see they have multi desktop. Wonder if it actually remembers your setup over a restart. Win 10 has the same feature but it doesn't remember once you logout. Maybe win 11 is the version of win 10 where they actually finished everything? No way... guess they had 5 years, and last 18 months worth of version updates added nothing new. I still think its smoke and mirrors. the fluff build with the pretty effects, just don't look too hard. Perfect for journalists.

Reactions: AlexTheFern

Endre

Reputable
the icons in win 11 are also in win 10 insiders builds now, so I wonder if it is just a Version update of win 10 that makes it win 11

Yeah. That’s a possibility.

I’m quite enthusiastic about this new release!
I’ll install it as soon as Microsoft makes it available for download.

I'm not too interested in running it on my main system yet, I'll let others test it out for the first few months then maybe upgrade once MS works out the bugs.

ill probably see how old of a pc it will install onto as well

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I read Microsoft only gets 11% of its revenue from selling the OS-and the vast majority of that comes from Dell,HP,etc.

I bet the next version will be called Microsoft Free as they are already selling stuff right from the OS (advertizing,MS Store,etc).

They may still charge a commercial license fee to Dell and the big box makers,but free for the rest of us.

Since I dont see anything compelling enough to upgrade yet, question is will there be a Windows 12 and will I be able to skip 11 altogether, since 8.1 is still getting security updates till 2023. Microsoft has always kept one version headroom till now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think the TPM thing is just to throw a hurdle in the way of people who want to install the dev build onto real hardware. I have seen ways around that restriction but I feel showing them on here crosses some line. Its okay to talk about it but showing is another matter.

its easy enough to find the instructions elsewhere.

Reactions: Endre
I think the TPM thing is just to throw a hurdle in the way of people who want to install the dev build onto real hardware. I have seen ways around that restriction but I feel showing them on here crosses some line. Its okay to talk about it but showing is another matter.

its easy enough to find the instructions elsewhere.
Oh its definately there for something like that.

Given the shear amount of people incluing schools/buisness deployments using systems well before tpm2.0 was a thing, ms would he silly to include that requirement in the final product.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if anyone burned into onto USB and instead of clean installing it, put it in a working win 10 pc and tried to update... i guess that tpm restriction is there but if you got around it, you should be able to update an already installed windows to newest.

Undoubtedly you will be able to once its live. this is the supposedly leaked copy that is just there for show, but doesn't actually include any new features that we would actually use on a daily basis.

Anyone installing win 11 on a non UEFI pc for any reason other than fun is likely to have a hard time. Chances of win 11 drivers? lots don't even have win 10 ones now.

Wonder if they force people to use windows store for all driver updates.

Endre

Reputable
I wonder if anyone burned into onto USB and instead of clean installing it, put it in a working win 10 pc and tried to update... i guess that tpm restriction is there but if you got around it, you should be able to update an already installed windows to newest.

Undoubtedly you will be able to once its live. this is the supposedly leaked copy that is just there for show, but doesn't actually include any new features that we would actually use on a daily basis.

Anyone installing win 11 on a non UEFI pc for any reason other than fun is likely to have a hard time. Chances of win 11 drivers? lots don't even have win 10 ones now.

Wonder if they force people to use windows store for all driver updates.

I think that the Microsoft Store will only be used to install apps, not drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.