Discussion Windows 11?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Microsoft only gets 11% of its revenue from selling the OS-and the vast majority of that comes from Dell,HP,etc.

I bet the next version will be called Microsoft Free as they are already selling stuff right from the OS (advertizing,MS Store,etc).

They may still charge a commercial license fee to Dell and the big box makers,but free for the rest of us.
As of late 2019, Microsoft makes a majority of their income off Office and Azure services:
05J2D3lBpXW7rIfY8Kp6s9m-4.1569483999.fit_lim.size_1600x900.png

(from https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-big-tech-makes-its-money)

Wonder if they force people to use windows store for all driver updates.
Most driver updates for muggles likely comes from Windows update rather than the store. And even then, I've only seen the driver application (e.g., NVIDIA Control Panel) coming from the store.

Colif

Win 11 Master
realtek audio controls come from store, so i guess you right about it being aps. i some drivers in reliability history but I may have installed them myself
i hadn't noticed Nvidia control panel but I can see that making sense

realtek audio controls come from store, so i guess you right about it being aps. i some drivers in reliability history but I may have installed them myself
i hadn't noticed Nvidia control panel but I can see that making sense
If you install DCH versions of the drivers, then their utilities typically (or have to) come from the Microsoft Store.

Colif

Win 11 Master
and the reveal revealed exactly what we had already seen.

and there was much rejoicing... oh wait, we still didn't see anything new.

Win 11 is a finished version of win 10. maybe... need testing on the multi desktop function as you can set different desktop wall[papers on them but does it remember your settings after a restart, as win 10 sure doesn't (unless they fixed it in the last 3 years and I never noticed).
with a pretty desktop UI.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-11
can check if pc will install but its still got the tpm restriction on it, so says my pc can't run it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: gardenman
So the minimum requirements state a TPM 2.0 module is required. However, it's up in the air if these requirements are across the board or just for system builders. It does say:

If you are unsure whether your PC meets these requirements, you can check with your PC Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)

Which implies that it's meant for pre-built PCs than DIY built ones. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Colif

Win 11 Master
run app
Vqgb2bo.jpg

click link
63hEhJ6.jpg

think, i can do all that except TPM
click TPM to check it means hardware and not the software version -
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) technology is designed to provide hardware-based, security-related functions. A TPM chip is a secure crypto-processor that is designed to carry out cryptographic operations. The chip includes multiple physical security mechanisms to make it tamper resistant, and malicious software is unable to tamper with the security functions of the TPM.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/tpm/trusted-platform-module-overview

yep

editorial checking with Microsoft about this limitation.
Funny if an 8 month old PC that exceeds the requirements can't install it.

run app
Vqgb2bo.jpg

click link
63hEhJ6.jpg

think, i can do all that except TPM
click TPM to check it means hardware and not the software version -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/tpm/trusted-platform-module-overview

yep

editorial checking with Microsoft about this limitation.
Funny if an 8 month old PC that exceeds the requirements can't install it.
We'll see if in a few months Microsoft loosens up on this. There's a lot of companies and organizations out there that don't have TPM equipped computers (but then again they'll probably stay on Windows 10 well after 2025).

Colif

Win 11 Master
its sure one way to slow down the mad rush of all us who don't have oem pc, all they need do is release the unrestricted version after a few months.

its a free upgrade otherwise

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are work arounds, but I don't know if telling people how to do them here isn't similar to our procedures in relation to installing MacOS on PC. if MS don't want it on the hardware, I don't think we should be showing people.

There are videos showing what to do, its not a very big change. Its something Microsoft can fix with a copy/paste.

We can speculate on whether they will release a version that doesn't have the requirements. Its possible its there to try to restrict number of people downloading it on day one. And they may remove it once its released.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if any the tech channels that tried to install win 11 dev build on hardware over last few weeks thought to turn tpm on in bios, as it be funny if that was only step they didn't take.

Reactions: DRagor

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am pretty sure I heard linus mention it in their videos but they said none of their hardware would run it, but that doesn't answer question as to whether they turned it on to try.

other videos also mention it

Its officially today we found out but it had been known for a few weeks.

So, if you don't have a hardware TPM chip, there may be an option to enable fTPM. Just check your BIOS.

I am, however, seeing a number of people who have tried it and aren't seeing the same results. It's unclear yet why that is, and which other settings or specifications may causing issues.
That's a bit worrying if enabling PTT/fTPM will not work for everyone.

I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft is enforcing this to get security on track because of how Apple manages security in pre-boot environments.

Though I still thinks this makes more sense to enforce this for system builders than DIY. But then again a lot of system builders do use COTS products anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.