News Windows 11's 22H2 Up: Here Are the New Features

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I've had the Explorer Tabs on my home PC running Windows Insider beta channel for a bit now. But it still seems a bit buggy and I didn't think it was being released to the public yet. I was just setting up a new laptop and installed all updates including 22H2 and I don't see tabs there yet. Is it supposed to be in this release or is it dependent on some other items on whether you get it or not?

Still a long way to go for me and the place I work to upgrade winllingly to Windows 11.

The start menu seems a bit better than this way, but still not even as close as to Windos 10 let you do/choose.

The explorer's tabs is a nice addition but nothing new really.

I feel sorta happy to know that I can still use Windows 10 till october 2025, cause the way it stand now I really have no will to upgrade to Windows 11.

I wonder when will they understand that is not a good idea to try to push things no one asked.

I bet that with just 2 small changes (lackluster start menu options/look, and the "must use" microsoft account for installing) there would be way more Windows 11 PC in the world.

USAFRet

Titan
I feel sorta happy to know that I can still use Windows 10 till october 2025, cause the way it stand now I really have no will to upgrade to Windows 11.

I wonder when will they understand that is not a good idea to try to push things no one asked.
People said exactly the same about Win 10.
And Win 8.
And Win 7.
And XP.
ad infinitum

"The new OS is the worstest thing EVER! I'm going to stay on the old one."

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Still a long way to go for me and the place I work to upgrade winllingly to Windows 11.

I agree that I will not be installing Win11 on my work PC anytime soon. But that's mostly because of the Taskbar. The bottom placement of the Taskbar is terrible for my multi-monitor setup I have at the office where I currently have it on the left side of my left monitor and the right side of my right monitor and then on top of a portrait mode monitor for teams and such. Not to mention the grouping of windows into a single useless button which I find a terrible way to manage open windows. The Start menu and other annoyances are just that, annoying but I can deal with them. But this is a deal breaker. And all of their responses are essentially F-U, deal with it.

On the Explorer tabs, I've been using QTTabBar for a lot of years so have had Tabs in my explorer already. I like some of the things With QTTabBar better but I've adjusted to their Tabs without much issue. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Reactions: RodroX
People said exactly the same about Win 10.
And Win 8.
And Win 7.
And XP.
ad infinitum

"The new OS is the worstest thing EVER! I'm going to stay on the old one."

People may have... but actually not the same for me. I was an early adopter of Windows 10 and Ive never looked back. I was also an insider for that version.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Still no decent backup solution??
Alt+Tab used to be invisible when pressing quickly. Now it's not. Too many flashes when switching windows quickly.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Where does it say this?

I just went to install it and there is a TOS agreement before you can download and install. Somewhere in the upper half it is telling us things like you can't use certain Office products for commercial use unless you specifically purchased a commercial license and around that same area it seems to suggest that you cannot use this OS version for a server. To me it seemed to indicate even on your own local network.

There was a lot of 'legalize' in there and pointedly obfuscated IMO....seems dodgy.

USAFRet

Titan
I just went to install it and there is a TOS agreement before you can download and install. Somewhere in the upper half it is telling us things like you can't use certain Office products for commercial use unless you specifically purchased a commercial license and around that same area it seems to suggest that you cannot use this OS version for a server. To me it seemed to indicate even on your own local network.

There was a lot of 'legalize' in there and pointedly obfuscated IMO....seems dodgy.
Ah, OK.

It has probably said something like this this forever.

But, from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/UseTerms/Retail/Windows/11/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_11_English.htm

2. c. (v)
Restrictions.
" ...this license does not give you any right to ..."
" use the software as server softwareor to operate the device as a server, except as permitted under Section 2(d)(iii) below; use the software to offer commercial hosting services; make the software available for simultaneous use by more than one user over a network, except as permitted under Section 2(d)(vi) below;install the software on a server for remote access or use over a network; or install the software on a device for use only by remote users; "

(the referenced section)

2. d. (iii)
"Device connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access the software installed on the licensed device solely to use the following software features for personal or internal purposes: file services, print services, Internet information services, and Internet connection sharing and telephony services on the licensed device. You may allow any number of devices to access the software on the licensed device to synchronize data between devices. "

Apr 1, 2020
I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows 10's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch which basically copies elements of Mac and Android and mashes them together in a probably the most derided feature of Windows 11, and the one which keeps people from moving to it by choice, which means they're not going to change it to appease the masses (or so they say).

Reactions: martinch and RodroX

USAFRet

Titan
I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows 10's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch
I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows 7's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch...

I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows XP's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch...

I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows 98's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch

I just don't see what was so egregiously wrong with Windows 10's UI that they decided to go though the process of developing a new one from scratch which basically copies elements of Mac and Android and mashes them together in a probably the most derided feature of Windows 11, and the one which keeps people from moving to it by choice, which means they're not going to change it to appease the masses (or so they say).

Windows 10, while not great, was at least recognizable. Windows 11 is just Microsoft trying to copy MacOS without getting hit with a lawsuit. I loath the MacOS UI, so going to avoid Windows 11 for awhile, a nice long while. IMHO Windows 7's Aero Glass was probably the best UI they've ever made and it's why I use Open Shell to make my Windows 10 system have that same style interface. Eventually Windows 11 will become stable enough that the UI can be modified without a high risk of breaking every update and the spyware reliably disabled / blocked.

As for why they keep changing it every version, it's very hard to sell the next version without a dramatically visible difference then the previous one. Eventually they will release Windows 13 or 14 with a UI that looks the same as Windows NT or 98.

Reactions: RodroX and dimar