News Windows 12 Development Reportedly Begins In Earnest Next Month

D

Deleted member 2783327

It was pleasant to know that we would have an extended period of stability,

Except that Microsoft never got Windows 10, it's updates or security patches stable - ever. They just kept changing useless crap like the UI and throwing more telemetry riddled garbage at users and eventually gave up on that and gave us Windows 11, which as Historical Fidelity said, is a "hot piece of garbage".

How many of the last 55 months of updates didn't bring a new or re-introduced a previous "fixed" problem? Not many.

Apr 1, 2020
Honestly I can see Microsoft developing another OS, but not a replacement for Windows 11, at least not at this stage 4 months after public release, but instead a true lightweight OS to actually challenge ChromeOS, especially since Google announced ChromeOS Flex.

I know they said they gave up on it and merged it into the core Windows, but Microsoft is so determined to get Windows on every device and keep any form of Linux out as much as they can that I can see them doing it.

Feb 20, 2022
Why bother. A lot of people don't even like W11. It seems to me that they are just wasting money or they are going to put extra features in it that they will make you pay for just like they and some auto makers are doing right now. I keep threatening to go to Linux, but I think the time is coming very soon that I will even though I don't know that much about it. I guess I'll have to start reading up about it.

Whatever happened to windows 10 being the last windows and simply being constantly updated? 🙄
Microsoft officially, as a company, never said this. It was from Product Evangelist Jerry Nixon during one of Microsoft's conferences. A Product Evangelist does not dictate or plan the future of any product. They're basically a company hired shill.

Also (almost) everybody on the freaking internet took the quote out of context. What Jerry was talking about was Microsoft's transition from doing major feature releases every few years to having rolling feature updates and Windows 10 was going to be the last Windows to be developed under the old model until release, then afterwards, there will be rolling feature updates.

doubtful.
WIN11 is only half a yr old. (not even)

the only reason a less than 1 yr old OS would die is if it had the WIN ME issue....being literally impossible to fix issues.
and ME was shortest lived OS at 1 yr.

at best it would be like WIN8 and get a 11.1 monkier.

doubtful.
WIN11 is only half a yr old. (not even)

the only reason a less than 1 yr old OS would die is if it had the WIN ME issue....being literally impossible to fix issues.
and ME was shortest lived OS at 1 yr.

at best it would be like WIN8 and get a 11.1 monkier.
Lots of companies start development on the next major thing soon after the last one gets released, or heck, even sometimes before it gets released. In particular with Microsoft:
  • Windows 95 started in earnest shortly after 3.1's release
  • Windows 98 started shortly after 95
  • Windows XP started in 1999
  • Windows Vista (if you want to include Longhorn) started in 2001
  • Windows 7 started 6 months after Vista's release
  • Windows 8 started in 2009
  • Windows 10 had some hints of being started in 2011, but 2013 (the same year 8.1 was released) was likely when development went full steam ahead.

Apr 1, 2020
Just imagine if Windows 11 had retained the Windows 10 UI in every aspect except for adding rounded corners and updated icons. There would still be quibbles about the changes, but they would legitimately be minor quibbles and wouldn't affect usability.

Think about how much rightly deserved negative flak about Windows 11 wouldn't exist. And the worst thing about it is that there's no reason whatsoever for Microsoft to NEED to revamp the UI, it's just something they wanted to do.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I've been using Windows 11 for 2 months with almost zero problems... a couple improvements I would like to see... but honestly it isn't that much different than W10. Try it.

I'll probably install it soon. I was basically just waiting for it to be out a while and see if there were any major issues and as far as I can tell there aren't. Plus I haven't had a clean install of Win10 in quite a long time and it's probably time because I've noticed some weird issues happening, the kind that just start cropping up after 3-4 years and after you have installed and uninstalled a million different things.

valve might fix a lot of that in long term thoguh.

if steamdeck bring linux popularity up drivers/applications might start egttign support they deserve making it much easier to actually do.

The steam deck is a cool device but it's also an insanely niche device and that SOC probably won't change for years because of the margins. Valve spent ungodly sums of money on the deck and it's going to need to be on the market for a long time before they break even let alone start making profits.

Replacing the SOC before a profit is made just isn't going to happen. They aren't a charity.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
It's still extremely superficial and petty, but I still wish we got a proper Win9, which would have basically been Win7++, building on the failure of Win8 but incorporating everything everyone loved about Win7. Then Win10 would be the long-term experimental "last OS", that would eventually flop and go back to traditional OS updates.