Windows 12gb installed only 8gb usable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I have a PC with 2x4gb HyperX FURY installed and found an old 4gb memory stick which I decided to use to boost my performamce. I set the 2 HyperX on slot 1 and 2 and the old memory in the middle of them (slot 3) leaving slot 4 empty.

The problem is Windows shows the 12gb on propieties and task manager, but only 7,98 is shown as usable.

I tested the old memory alone and windows recognized its 4gb. Windows memory diagnosis didn't show any erros.

I tried Clean CMOS, removed the MOBO battery for a few minutes, started it and went directly into bios and selected load optimal defaults, I didn't get any erros starting the computer after mainly because I went directly into bios, I don't know if I did it right.

MSCONFIG setting to limit ram is not marked also. I also read something about maybe trying to change voltage of ram and CPU but I don't have enough knowledge to do that.

Old memory that I found:
vsmjIT4.jpg

Chipset:
K9vQgCX.jpg

CPU-Z Memory:
jm2SbNY.jpg

Windows System:
BFDYgM6.jpg

Speed:
p47zTXc.jpg

Can someone help me ?

Solution
This doesn't make much sense because the memory controller is on the CPU. Try one Kingston module and the Crucial module in dual channel mode; does Windows detect 8 GB? I can't be 100% sure, but one module may not be working properly and it causes issues in dual channel mode.
This doesn't make much sense because the memory controller is on the CPU. Try one Kingston module and the Crucial module in dual channel mode; does Windows detect 8 GB? I can't be 100% sure, but one module may not be working properly and it causes issues in dual channel mode.

Solution

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Both Kingston worked 8gb on dual with Crucial at socket 1 and 2, when I changed back to both Kingston on socket 1 and 2 Windows now says 8gb and CPU-Z says dual on memory tab, so idk what sorcery is this but I think its working now.

My doubt is are these Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 working on its full potencial or all this mess downgraded the settings?
Here is my settings now, and should I disable "Internal Graphics Mode" on bios? Auto setting turned it on again.

BfVnRTt.png

mHwFeqc.jpg

d4SmrxV.jpg

akatsukirofl

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
I have the exact same problem but my ram sticks are Crucial Ballistix sports(1x4gb) + Corsair Vengeance(2x4gb) Both ddr3 4GB 1600mhz And i checked cpuid and it says that both corsairs are single and the crucial one is Dual And just yesterday i saw that 4GB is hardware reserved.

MoBo: asus m5a97 r2.0
CPU: AMD FX-4300
GPU: GTX 1050

And right now i have Crucial on A1 and the Corsair on A2 + B2.
I have the latest version of the BIOS