Windows 12gb installed only 8gb usable

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I have a PC with 2x4gb HyperX FURY installed and found an old 4gb memory stick which I decided to use to boost my performamce. I set the 2 HyperX on slot 1 and 2 and the old memory in the middle of them (slot 3) leaving slot 4 empty.

The problem is Windows shows the 12gb on propieties and task manager, but only 7,98 is shown as usable.

I tested the old memory alone and windows recognized its 4gb. Windows memory diagnosis didn't show any erros.

I tried Clean CMOS, removed the MOBO battery for a few minutes, started it and went directly into bios and selected load optimal defaults, I didn't get any erros starting the computer after mainly because I went directly into bios, I don't know if I did it right.

MSCONFIG setting to limit ram is not marked also. I also read something about maybe trying to change voltage of ram and CPU but I don't have enough knowledge to do that.

Old memory that I found:
vsmjIT4.jpg

Chipset:
K9vQgCX.jpg

CPU-Z Memory:
jm2SbNY.jpg

Windows System:
BFDYgM6.jpg

Speed:
p47zTXc.jpg

Can someone help me ?

Solution
This doesn't make much sense because the memory controller is on the CPU. Try one Kingston module and the Crucial module in dual channel mode; does Windows detect 8 GB? I can't be 100% sure, but one module may not be working properly and it causes issues in dual channel mode.
You are hurting your performance more with that old ram stick. You will no longer run in dual channel mode and your old stick is also a slower speed, meaning all your ram will now run at the slower speed. Also mixing different kind of ram can cause instability.
In the end, pull out that old stick again to get better performance.

Even if it worked, memory now runs at 1333 instead of 1600 MHz. The new Crucial module is very different from the Kingston kit (different timings and dual rank); mixing modules can cause issues. What happens if you test with Memtest86 with all modules installed? Windows memory diagnostics won't detect errors if it only tests the 8 GB that it uses (the Kingston kit).

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
If it will hurt my performance more than the +4gb of ram gain I'll not use it. This PC is for games.

EDIT: I removed the old stick and set the ram originally as it was, but now Windows shows 8gb but only 4gb usable. The are in the same bank and I tried both.

F3MdD6J.jpg

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

I did, The HyperX are quite different. I have an AMD Radeon R9 280x Windforce.

-Remove all the RAM sticks and then insert the 2x4 GB kingston kit in the right slots to run in dual channel mode.
-Clear CMOS
-Load up BIOS and disable onboard GPU to make sure none of the RAM is reserved for the onboard GPU.
-Also put in the correct speed, voltage and timings for your RAM as printed on the sticker on your RAM.

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Removed and reinserted the sticks and Cleared CMOS and disabled Internal Graphics. Can you help me set the other bios settings?

BIOS1:
gxunnM1.jpg

BIOS2:
fV9CNft.jpg

BIOS3:
M0HFIDj.jpg

HARDWARE:
MHwFu36.jpg

RAM INFO:
7WbknUj.jpg

RainOfPain125

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
This isn't a RAM problem. This is a windows OS problem. Some software on your computer is RESERVING your RAM for itself. It's usually crappy anti-viruses, badly coded games or software, and usually malware.

You can free up all the reserved RAM by doing the following -

Hold windows key + r (which opens run)
Type "msconfig"
Hit enter
Go to the boot tab
Click advanced options
Tick then untick "maximum memory"
Click OK
Click OK again
Restart your computer

Then, after your computer restarts windows should report that all RAM is usable (Well, actually, it simply wont say x.xx usable anymore) and wallah

Try uninstalling some stuff, and more importantly getting a good anti-virus (I use malwarebytes if you wanna know)

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Windows MSCONFIG Maximum memory is not marked. I use only windows defender, and very few programs start with windows, besides, Windows was recognizing the 8gb of this sticks before I tried to put tha old stick, they were in this same bank, and I changed nothing in settings.

Tried marking the maximum memory to 8gb but when computer restart is was marked but with value 0. I unchecked it again.

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

I'll try, and edit this.
Windows recognized both alone as 4gb but when I put them together Only 3,98 of 8 is usable.

aren't they supposed to say Dual where is single?
mdJGGww.jpg

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

I thought they had to be at the same socket colors, I moved as you said and Windows now recgonize 8gb, they still say Single though, I don't know if the best settings/frequency is set but at least it recognizes as 8gb. Thanks everybody that helped.

Here is how it worked:
990i9ME.jpg

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

When I install them to work in dual channel, like manual says, in the same color socket, Windows recognizes 8gb but only 3,98gb usable again.

I tried both banks. its now at DDR3_1 and DDR3_2
vkIKidG.jpg

gabrielmedeiros

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Both memories worked fine alone on different sockets. Windows also recognize 8gb if I put one at DDR3_4 and DDR3_2 or DDR3_1 and DDR3_3.

But when I put them at DDR3_1 and _2 or DDR3_3 and _4 so they can work at dual mode, Windows says 8gb but only 3,89 usable.

They were working on Dual windows showing 8gb 2 days ago before I started all this experiment with the old stick.