Windows 1803 update failed due to Intel 600p SSD

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
I have a 600p SSD and my current version of windows 10 is 1709.

Yesterday I tried to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 thinking it would be safe now after reading this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8lnhoy/201805_cumulative_update_for_windows_10_version/ since it says:
Addresses an issue with power regression on systems with NVMe devices from certain vendors.
Which is what was causing problems with the 600p so I thought I could download it now, I hit check for updates in windows update and sure enough it found 1803 and started downloading, about half way through installing it opened a separate installation window (something Ive never seen windows 10 do while updating) which says that the update failed. I guess I got the original (broken) 1803 and not KB4100403 which should fix this problem.

After I clicked ok on the failed notification windows update stopped and everything worked like normal (still on version 1709), so it wasn't that big of a deal but now my windows update looks like this:
QHTuzOI.jpg

CkmAXZ2.jpg

And when i click Fix Issues it just tells me it failed again after checking the (broken) 1803 files that it has already downloaded. Clicking Uninstall updates doesn't let me remove the 1803 files, just older 1709 updates that were successful.

At this point I don't even want 1803, I just want to make sure windows update won't screw me like it tends to do when things don't go its way. Where are the 1803 files stored, can I delete them to make windows update think nothing happened. Should I manually delete things or just wait a few days and hope microsoft fixes this and that the Fix Issues button will actually fix it for me.

Solution
Open services.msc. Now scroll down to "Windows Update" and stop the service.

Now delete the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder and all contents inside it.

Now check for updates again. The SoftwareDistribution folder will get recreated on its own.

stdragon

Admirable
Open services.msc. Now scroll down to "Windows Update" and stop the service.

Now delete the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder and all contents inside it.

Now check for updates again. The SoftwareDistribution folder will get recreated on its own.

Solution

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016

Thanks for the response, ill give this a try on Wednesday and if it works ill pick your response as the solution

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Windows kept notifying me about failed updates last night so just to be sure it wouldn't do something bad I decided to do what stdragon said (without checking for new updates) and my windows update thinks everything is good now:

esRRZ5s.jpg

I assume clicking Check for Updates will put me back where I was so I won't bother, hopefully windows update continues to think everything is fine
Thanks for the help

If your system is running fine then don't mess with it
When a buggy update is released, Microsoft will use Windows 10 update to stop the update on the affected system until a fix is found.
So an update could install on a system with no issues but it could stall on another system.

stdragon

Admirable
Update: Issue with the Intel SSD 600p series now officially resolved with patch KB4100403. Release notes in link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403

Per the link, that patch is now included in OS build 17134.81. Prior to it, that would have been the official April 2018 release build of 17134.48. I'm not sure if that's been pushed to the official Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool or not. If anyone knows, please respond with an update.

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Update: My windows ended up updating itself to 1803 about a week ago, there have been no issues with that update. Windows Update itself is working as it should as well.

Microsoft seems to have fixed this without causing any additional problems.