windows 2000 does not boot

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

I recently added a USB SD card reader to my ageing computer.

A message appeared saying that the computer needed to be restarted and
on pressing 'ok' it tried to do so.

The computer failed to restart and on each press of the reset key,
fails to boot at the same point.

It usually fails just after the message "verifying pool data".

What can I do to sort this out?

Any advice, preferably as non-teckie as possible, welcome.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

I've removed the USB SD reader and also every other usb peripheral.

I still have the same problem - the computer freezes before windows
2000 loads.

I do get some sort of a boot however, i.e. the screen, where if I press
DEL, I can alter the setup options for the BIOS etc.

Is there anything I can do on this screen?
Would creating a Windows 2000 setup boot disk, as per the instructions
on www.bootdisk.com?

Advice appreciated.

You need to take this computer to a qualified technician.

You're obviously in way over your head and there are a myriad of
possibilities as to what the problem could be. Your machine is not
completing the POST (Power On Self Test) so it is most definitely a
hardware issue, probably something you inadvertently did while inside the
case (you didn't specify whether the USB device was internal or external,
so I'm assuming it was internal).

First thing I'd try is a replacement Power Supply.

If that didn't fix it, then here's what you need to do:
Make a DOS boot floppy and leave it in the drive
Ensure that BIOS is set to boot from floppy first
Turn off the computer
Remove the power cord
Remove all add-in cards
Remove all memory modules
Remove all ribbon cables from devices and the mainboard
Disconnect all power cables
Reconnect power cable(s) to the mainboard
Reinsert 1 memory chip
Reinsert the video card
Connect power to the floppy drive
Connect the floppy ribbon cable
Connect a monitor and keyboard
Connect the power cord
Turn the computer on

Does it boot from the floppy?

If not, then follow the advice of the first sentence

If it boots, then begin the process of reconnecting everything one item
at a time, powercycling after each item, until it either fails or boots
with everything reconnected. If/when it fails you will have identified the
faulty component.

> I recently added a USB SD card reader to my ageing computer.
>
> A message appeared saying that the computer needed to be restarted and
> on pressing 'ok' it tried to do so.
>
> The computer failed to restart and on each press of the reset key,
> fails to boot at the same point.
>
> It usually fails just after the message "verifying pool data".
>
> What can I do to sort this out?
>
> Any advice, preferably as non-teckie as possible, welcome.

I would remove the USB card reader. If this fails then you should
repost this item in a hardware newsroup. Windows 2000 never even
begins to load, so it's obviously a hardware issue.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

If it's any use, the USB device I connected was external.

I will try the MSDOS boot from the floppy this evening.

Thanks for your help.

> If it's any use, the USB device I connected was external.
>
> I will try the MSDOS boot from the floppy this evening.
>
> Thanks for your help.

It helps if you mention all pertinent facts right at the start,
e.g. that it is an external device. Did you install some
driver with your reader? If so then it could be responsible
for the problem. Press F8 early during the boot phase,
then select Safe Modem. If it works then you should
uninstall the driver for your reader.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

Sorry, I did not realise that the device being internal or external was
pertinent.

OK, I made a DOS boot disk and it now boots to DOS from the floppy.
Can you tell me how to run windows from DOS? I'm looking at at black
screen with "A:\>" and a blinking cursor.

Many thanks for your help.

Dylan

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> "dylan" <dylan999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If it's any use, the USB device I connected was external.
> >
> > I will try the MSDOS boot from the floppy this evening.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> It helps if you mention all pertinent facts right at the start,
> e.g. that it is an external device. Did you install some
> driver with your reader? If so then it could be responsible
> for the problem. Press F8 early during the boot phase,
> then select Safe Modem. If it works then you should
> uninstall the driver for your reader.

It is possible to boot Win2000 with a boot diskette. This method
is used sometimes when the Windows boot environment is damaged.
I do not expect it to make any difference in your case. You should
really try the alternative boot methods I mentioned in my previous
reply.

Here is how to make a Win2000 boot diskette:
- Format a floppy disk on some other Win2000 PC.
Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work.
- Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your Win2000 CD to A:\
ntldr
ntdetect.com
- Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect