Windows 2000 Domain

I have a windows 2000 domain that has an exchange 2000 server.

I want to add another Domain Controller running Windows 2003

But I need to extend the schema. I have been reading all these side effects
that Microsoft has published.

Can someone explain to me how it is done and what all that is_timeemp or
whatever really means.

THanx

Gerald,

Going to look a little ignorant here. I know of only the 'Mangled
Attributes' problem when you run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep
in a WIN2000 AD environment to prepare it for a WIN2003 AD environment.

Please see the following MSKB Article for this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314649

Not sure what your question is....what is 'is_timeemp'?

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Gerald Ray" <geraldr@pclaw.com> wrote in message
>I have a windows 2000 domain that has an exchange 2000 server.
>
> I want to add another Domain Controller running Windows 2003
>
> But I need to extend the schema. I have been reading all these side
> effects that Microsoft has published.
>
> Can someone explain to me how it is done and what all that is_timeemp or
> whatever really means.
>
> THanx

the only thing I know you should worry about is
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278875

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Gerald Ray" <geraldr@pclaw.com> wrote in message
>I have a windows 2000 domain that has an exchange 2000 server.
>
> I want to add another Domain Controller running Windows 2003
>
> But I need to extend the schema. I have been reading all these side
> effects that Microsoft has published.
>
> Can someone explain to me how it is done and what all that is_timeemp or
> whatever really means.
>
> THanx

jswift

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005

We're in the same position as you (W2K and EX2K) and this is how I'm
attacking the upgrade:

(1) Run the InetOrPersonFix according to Q325379
(2) Run adprep /forestprep on the Schema master and Replciate
(3) Run adprep /domainprep on all domains in forest and replicate
(4) Install a new W2K3 server, run dcpromo you have a 2003 domain controller.

After this point, you will need to think about moving the roles, gc's, sfu,
etc. Were going to place SFU 3.5 on the 2003 DC's and leave SFU 2.0 on the
W2K DC's, which will eventually be migrated out. We are not doing an inplace
upgrade, but rather buying new equipment.

Good luck.

Jeff