Windows 2000 install error codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jposo1

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I am attempting to install a new hdd for a customer on his old machine the motherboard does not have a sata controller. I have an ide to sata adapter I am using along with the new hdd. The first attempt it failed to format the drive after it said it was already 100% completed. Upon deleting the parrtition and telling it to create a new ntsf partition I get this error message. Stop: 0x0000001E (0x0000005, 0x8040b72c, 0x00000001, 0x00000102) . any help would be much appreciated as I fear I'm a tad bit in over my head on this one.

You could be running into a couple things. These adapter don't always work to reveal the capabilities of the drive to the BIOS correctly. Which can cause problems with partitioning and formatting.

The other issue could be a limitation of the BIOS itself. The BIOS could have a limit of how big a drive can be, and if your drive is larger than that limit it could be causing issues.

Have you tried making a partition that is smaller than the entire volume of the drive?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
as above, format for NTFS in a more modern machine with direct SATA connection, OR format in that machine using a Linux LiveDVD of some kind, OR just grab a cheap used IDE hard drive for $5 or so (grab a few), OR try going through a PCI / PCIe SATA controller card (we assume you have a floppy drive to load drivers for the card)

jposo1

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
When I first started it was formated as ntfs I asked if to install then came the error codes. I just tried it again and now I get this code. Stop 0x0000000a (0x79727493, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804408b0)

jposo1

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Okay so I put the hdd in a working system and formatted it the partition size is now 135 gb. This let me get as far as I've gotten yet but now during the installation process it tells me a file failed to copy over if I choose to skip it then it says a different file failed to copy, it does this every time I attempt to retry or skip a file until it gives me another stop error message. Thoughts?

If you are installing from CD, it could be that the CD is scratched or dirty.

Well it's certainly in the realm of possibility. Do any files actually get copied to the drive? It would seem weird that everything would copy fine for awhile and then part way through start to act up.

aoresteen

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2016
As giantbucker said you need a native IDE hard drive.

Here's how I would prep the new drive. You will need a floppy drive and Partition Magic 8.0 rescue disks. Disk one boots to Caldera DOS. Disk 2 has the Partition Magic software.

Install the IDE hard drive. If there are two devices on the IDE make sure one is jumpered as MASTER the other as SLAVE. Make sure the BIOS sees the drive. Do not proceed until you get the BIOS to see the drive. Install the floppy drive if one is not in the machine (I've done this by cabling up a floppy drive temporarily and just let it lie outside the computer case). Set the BIOS to boot from the floppy. (NOTE: some BIOSs will let you boot from a USB floppy drive. If so no need to use an internally cabled floppy disk). Load Partition Magic. If all's well PM will see the drive. The reason I use a floppy drive is that PM will see the drive exactly as the BIOS does. So if there is a 132 GB BIOS limit and you have a 200 GB drive all you can prep is what the computer sees - 132GB. It guarantees boot success. While Win2K can handle NTFS drives up to 2GB in size with SP4, it is still limited to the drive size seen by the BIOS for bootable partitions.

Make sure you format the drive NTFS 3.0. NTFS 3.1 is for Windows XP and newer. Windows 2K SP4 should be able to read an NTFS 3.1 volume but the Win2K boot loader was written to boot from a NTFS 3.0 partition. I always format Win2K boot partitions NTFS 3.0.

Once you have the drive formatted set the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive and install Win2K.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.