Windows 2000 networking problems

G

Help , I have 2 Win2000 problems.

I have a small network setup between my house and several neighbours' homes, in my house I have three computers running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Professional. My problem starts with loging onto the Server, unless I install NetBEUI on both systems then I cannot logon to the server, installing this fixes the problem but the whole thing runs slow. I have assigned an IP address of 192.10.200.4 to the server and setup DHCP to assign IP Addresses from the scope in the range 192.10.200.11 - 192.10.200.50

I also have a second network card in the server that is attached to my Cisco 761M ISDN router the NIC is set to IP 10.0.0.5 and the router is set to IP 10.0.0.1 I am able to connect to the router on the server but only via the serial cable and not the LAN connection, If I connect to the router via the serial cable I can then connect to the internet, however I cannot connect to the router through any other machine on the network.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Digitalstorm.

G

Hi,
Assign 10.0.0.1 as the 'default gateway' on the server.and try to ping 10.0.0.5.I think win2000 comes with some sort of internet sharing capabilities,look in to this feature that might be causing problems too..

|sEnTiNaL|

G

Sorry, Correction,

Set 10.0.0.5[server's secondary NIC] as the 'default gateway'and configure all clients to use 10.0.0.1[router] as 'default gateway'.Before anything though make sure you can ping 10.0.0.5from the server[ :)]and after assigning the gateway on server try 10.0.0.1[:)]if everything looks OK try to ping 10.0.0.5 from a client,if OK set 10.0.0.1 as the gateway on clients.I have this setup in my office in tokyo.It works fine for me,but I have trouble assigning two different gateways to two different NICs[I need it to access Intranet from my PC/Internet from my gateway PC]as win2000 always use one gateway for both.:( Hope that helps

|sEnTiNaL|

G

The problem is that the Cisco 761M should be plugged directly into your hub, not isolated on a second network card on the server.

The Cisco 761M actually includes it's own DCHP server so disable the one on your server. Also set your server to use DHCP rather than statically assign an IP address.

If you set all your computers to use DHCP and plug everything into the same hub then it should all work. - You can remove the second network card from your server, it's not needed.

If for some reason you do not want to use DHCP on everything, the tcp/ip settings for your computers should be:

IP: 10.0.0.*
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DNS - host=computer name
DNS - server = 10.0.0.1

The address listed for DNS server may not work, it depends if the cisco also implements a DNS server. If not, you'll need to enter the address supplied by your ISP - call them and ask for the ip address of their dns server. But you don't need to worry about any of this if you use DHCP.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I have a similar setup and this is what I'm doing...

I have a Win2K SRV with two NICs. One is set to DHCP to get IP address from my DSL modem (in this case it would be your router).

The other NIC is set to a static IP for my LAN and connects to a switch (please tell me your using a switch and not a hub).

I have another server has a static IP acts as domain controller and DHCP, but you can use DHCP and NAT on the same server if you like (and you don't really need a domain controller either, but I like the security). You can also assign NAT to assign IPs using Routing and remote access, but I have never tested this method.

In order to get your gateway machine to work you have to have Windows routing and remote access working, use the server configuration and just run thru the setup using the defaults for a NAT server.

<skip this part if you know about subnet mask>
Then get a network calulator calculate the number of nodes and subnets you will be needing, this will also get you the correct subnet mask to get your network working.

I used
194.254.0.0 as my netowrk
255.255.255.192 as my subnet mask

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions...

My next project might be to setup a ISA sever :D