Windows 2000 Pro Setup hangs during "Registers Components"

Status
Not open for further replies.

When running Windows 2000 Pro Setup, the install goes correctly until after
the final setup menu, then comes "registers components" and the system just
stays there.

The mouse works, I can move the Widnows setup window around the screen, but
it does not progress any further.

If I reboot the machines, setup reruns and then stops again at this same
place.

Can anyone please help?

I tried:

safe mode
safe mode with console
safe mode with network support

normal mode
debug mode

all of them do the same thing.

Please post and e-mail me the resolutions, please!!

jorge_schulz@hotmail.com

I suggest that next time it gets to that step press Shift and F10 together
and then typetskmgr and you should be able to look at process and see what
is causing the hang. You can then stop the process and the setup will
complete. If you see an excessive amout of processes (ex. 30 GRPCONV.EXE
processes) running you can assume that is too many and start stopping them.

If that doesn't work another fix that I have run into was swapping the
Memory chips (remove them and put them back in but in the other chips slot)
then reboot and let setup continue.

I hope this helps and hanve a nice day...

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

--------------------
Schulz@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Windows 2000 Pro Setup hangs during "Registers Components"
| Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:57:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| When running Windows 2000 Pro Setup, the install goes correctly until
after
| the final setup menu, then comes "registers components" and the system
just
| stays there.
|
| The mouse works, I can move the Widnows setup window around the screen,
but
| it does not progress any further.
|
| If I reboot the machines, setup reruns and then stops again at this same
| place.
|
| Can anyone please help?
|
| I tried:
|
| safe mode
| safe mode with console
| safe mode with network support
|
| normal mode
| debug mode
|
| all of them do the same thing.
|
| Please post and e-mail me the resolutions, please!!
|
| jorge_schulz@hotmail.com

From another forum - a very similar but more detailed solution that does
work:

I've found a possible work-around to the problem. When setup stops
on "Registers Components", do the following:

1) Press Shift-F10 to bring up the console.
2) Type taskmgr and hit enter to bring up the task manager.
3) Click the Processes tab.
4) Click on fixmapi.exe or rundll32.exe. The problem may also be with
one of the other programs that are started up during this stage of the

setup procedure.
5) Click the End Process button.
6) When the warning pops up, click Yes to kill the process.

If you don't see either of those two names in the process list, try
killing
other processes. You can open up the task manager before the setup
program gets to the "Registers Components" stage and watch the
processes start and stop. This may give you a better idea of which
process is holding up the setup procedure.

I noticed that the stall occurs on my machine soon after rundll32.exe
starts up. When I closed the task manager and reopened it, I noticed a

program called fixmapi.exe had basically taken the place of
rundll32.exe. I killed fixmapi.exe, which promptly averted the stall.

This works around the stall, but doesn't fix the cause of the problem.

The installation completed successfully, but I got a couple of errors
along the way. There were two Java install errors, and two "copy error"

messages which stated that msvidctl.dll could not be copied. I chose
to ignore these.

I believe that msvidctl.dll is an activeX streaming video component.
Not exactly a critical system component that you can't live without, so

no big deal. But, what would cause this problem to happen in the first

place?

DLL's were wiped from my system due to a furious battle with a
nagging virus. I won, but at the price of a few system files. That was

the reason I was trying to do a repair install. Perhaps something else

happened along the way that I'm not aware of.

Hope this information helps others.

--
jones96744
jones96744's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=5098

deji

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks guys! You just helped put my 72 hours ordeal to rest. The Fixmapi file was my issue as well. I hard no clue you cloud do the shift+F10 combination to look-in on an installation.
Thanks again guys, good work.

thank you for this information, it has helped with the install. In my case it was
a rundll32.exe that I stopped the process on. Good to know about the Shift +
F10 combination...by the way, it's to revive an older pc rather than throw away, it will be used to surf the web.