Windows 2003 Terminal Server and local printer

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi all,
I'm trying to use a local printer during a terminal server session but
all my local printer are not auto created. The client is a WINXp Pro SP2 .

The local peripherals "Printer" checkbox is properly checked when I do
the connection.

Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance,
Max

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:44:58 +0100, "max@work" <max@work> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm trying to use a local printer during a terminal server session but
>all my local printer are not auto created. The client is a WINXp Pro SP2 .
>
>The local peripherals "Printer" checkbox is properly checked when I do
>the connection.

You have to install drivers for local printers on the terminal-server
before logging on. Then the printers will be auto-created!

Ken

Ken Ingvaldsen ha scritto:

> You have to install drivers for local printers on the terminal-server
> before logging on. Then the printers will be auto-created!

OK. I installed on my PC (client of TS) the printer "HP 2000 C", then I
went to the server console and I installed the identical printer
(connected to the LPT1, even if I don't have any printer connected to
the server).

Then I went back to my PC and I tried to connect to the server using a
Terminal Server Session.

The Printer/Fax folder only displays the server printer but there isn't
trace of my local printer.

I'm a newbie, I'm trying to verify if the Terminal Server is good for me
so it is possible I'm doing something wrong.

If this can hellp, I can say that the server licence is not yet
activated (I can use the server for 34 days).

thank-you
Max

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

"max@work" <max@work> wrote on 06 dec 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Ken Ingvaldsen ha scritto:
>
>> You have to install drivers for local printers on the
>> terminal-server before logging on. Then the printers will be
>> auto-created!
>
> OK. I installed on my PC (client of TS) the printer "HP 2000 C",
> then I went to the server console and I installed the identical
> printer (connected to the LPT1, even if I don't have any printer
> connected to the server).
>
> Then I went back to my PC and I tried to connect to the server
> using a Terminal Server Session.
>
> The Printer/Fax folder only displays the server printer but
> there isn't trace of my local printer.
>
> I'm a newbie, I'm trying to verify if the Terminal Server is
> good for me so it is possible I'm doing something wrong.
>
> If this can hellp, I can say that the server licence is not yet
> activated (I can use the server for 34 days).
>
> thank-you
> Max

Check the EventLog on your Terminal Server, it probably shows you
a couple of Events telling you why the printer isn't autocreated.
The driver names have to match exactly. If they don't, you have to
map the driver to a native driver on the server. Details here:

239088 - Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server Logs Events 1111,
1105, and 1106
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239088

The HP Color LaserJet 2000 is not on HPs list of TS-compatible
printers. You might have to map it to a "HP LaserJet Series II"

HP LaserJet Printers and Terminal Servers - Overview
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?
lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpl10248

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Vera Noest [MVP] ha scritto:

> Check the EventLog on your Terminal Server, it probably shows you
> a couple of Events telling you why the printer isn't autocreated.

The problem is that the Event Log didn't tell me any messages. This
morning I have decided to reinstal the Windows 2003 Server and now it
works fine.

I don't know the real reason of the problem but now I have realized I
did something strange on the server (routing?).

You haven't solved my problem but you helped me to find my mistake.
Many thanks.

Max

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

On 12/6/04 9:44 AM, in article #u0d0s72EHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
"max@work" <max@work> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to use a local printer during a terminal server session but
> all my local printer are not auto created. The client is a WINXp Pro SP2 .
>
> The local peripherals "Printer" checkbox is properly checked when I do
> the connection.
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Max
Sometimes the session doesn't bring the drivers with it Try making the TS a
Print server with the drivers for the printer in question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi ..

Do you know some paper about make TS a Print Server??

thanks,