windows 2003 terminal server license server not issuing li..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hi!
I have i windows 2003 Domain Controller with Terminal server licensing server installed, i also installed CALS for But windows 2000 terminalservers and Windows 2003 terminalserver since i have both types in your enviroment.

The problem is that it don't seems to issue licenses to clients, the number of free licensenses does not increase when it really should do that. in addtion to that people are now getting warning on the thin clients that the temporary license is about to expire! i tried to set my licesense server name in registry on PC's but on thin clients this is not possible. and the same problem accours on computers to not only thin clients. i tried to run lsview from my own computer and it lists the license server i got.
the license server is on a different subnett than most of my thin client and computers, but how does the thin client find the Terminal server license server trough the network, does it ask the PDC emulator or something? is it site aware?

And shoulden't all temporary licenses become a issued license when there are licenses available?

I would greatly apriciate any help!

Thank in advance.

Jan Wilhelmsen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

You could have several different problems going on:

1) clients never communicate directly with a TS Licensing server.
All licensing communication is between the TS and the LS and
between the TS and the client.
Check the EventLogs on the TS. If you see Events stating "cannot
locate Licensing Server", then you have to hardcode the address of
the LS into the registry of every Terminal Server. Note that this
is done differently on W2K and 2003:

279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

2) Type of 2003 TS CALs.
Did you buy and install 2003 "Per User" TS CALs? If so, is the
2003 Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use "Per
User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the 2003 TS, your Per User TS CAL count
will not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--
Vera Noest