Windows 2008 R2 Server - How to get full Internet access/permissions?

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
I seem to have full internet access on my work Server (Windows 2008 R2) no problem EXCEPT with dBpoweramp's "CD Ripper" (music CD ripping software). The issue is that within CD Ripper there's a feature to "Retrieve CD Album Cover Artwork" where the software goes out onto the internet and searches for possible artwork matches for the CD currently being ripped. On a normal Windows Home or Pro system it comes back with several hits (sometimes hundreds) from which you can select. On my Server at work it comes back with maybe 2 or 3 max, then sits-and-spins like it's trying to bring in more selections but gets stuck. I've tried going into the Control Panel and allowing CD Ripper and all my internet browsers through the Firewall, heck even turning the Firewall off altogether, but to no avail. I'm thinking there's gotta be some Command Prompt or other action that will allow full internet access on my work Server. I've Googled ad nauseum. I've posted on the dBpoweramp Forum. Nothing. Suggestions? All comments appreciated, thanks in advance=)

Solution
It could be a compatibility issue dealing with Server 20xx vs. Win 7/10. There are some programs that will work fine on either platform but there are also some that won't work completely on one or the other. Also there are some programs that are required to run on only Server or Windows.

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
Appreciate the responses guys=) First off, I can confirm it's not the Corporate Firewall. Borrowed a co-worker's laptop (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), installed dBpoweramp, connected to the exact same ethernet cable and it worked fine. Secondly, as for my "Server", it might as well just be a Windows 10 Home Premium machine as no one else here at work connects to it at all, and I don't "connect" to it either, I operate my main software "client" directly on the Server box itself.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

OK then can you test out the web otherwise. Like is there anything at all that you can't access (outside of this)?

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
^^^ Nope, everything else accesses just fine. For 2+ years now on this Server, there's no limit (that I can detect) to the websites I can fully access. Google & Bing searches, youtube, all sites, various links, etc all access/display just fine.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Honestly whats happening the doesn't make sense, but I believe you that its happening. Not sure how this one can be fixed, by all indications your system is fully accessing the internet.

It could be a compatibility issue dealing with Server 20xx vs. Win 7/10. There are some programs that will work fine on either platform but there are also some that won't work completely on one or the other. Also there are some programs that are required to run on only Server or Windows.

Solution