[SOLVED] Windows 20h2 APPS causing 15° Chipset heat up - FIX NEEDED

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Hey,

Recently I updated Windows to 20h2 and since then I'm facing Chipset temperature spikes.

Every Windows app including Start Menu and Search instantly gives 10-15 celsius degrees spikes. The chipset on Idle is 38°. (Motherboard Aorus Master x570 Chipset)
Components are brand new bought a month ago.

I had no issues before the update.

Device Specs:

Device name DESKTOP-EB3MMG1
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID XXXX
Product ID XXXX
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Mobo Aorus Master x570

Windows spec:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎12/‎29/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Once again,
Everything related to APPS including App Settings ETC is giving temp spikes followed by intolerable fan noise.

Last edited:
Solution
CPU Chipset is what I am talking about.
Before I updated Windows, APPS were working just fine and I had no temp spikes.

Photo viewer that comes with 20H2 caused the most heat. I believe the Chipset CPU(x570) came to 75° which is insane.

That's what I'm trying to tell you from the start. The temperature spikes were there. It's impossible that your 3900X was not temperature spiking before the update. All Ryzen do.
Temperature spike for a Ryzen is totally normal. 38C idle + 10-15C on a 1 core spike is how Ryzen CPU works.

And your temperature is good. 38C idle for a 3900X is good and 10-15C spike is ok too.

You should check your BIOS fan curve settings. Your Power Plan in Windows 10.

You updated to 20H2 something might have changed but the spikes are normal.

Every Ryzen owner has to change the fan curve of the system because of the spikes. When the CPU spike the fan will go faster and that's only for a second to it goes faster and comes down after 1-2 seconds and it's annoying. You actually have to change the fan curve so that it stays quiet under the temperature of the spikes.

So if the CPU spike to 55C than you set the fan curve to be quiet under 55C. Over let's say 60C you put the fan curve to be aggressive.

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Temperature spike for a Ryzen is totally normal. 38C idle + 10-15C on a 1 core spike is how Ryzen CPU works.

And your temperature is good. 38C idle for a 3900X is good and 10-15C spike is ok too.

You should check your BIOS fan curve settings. Your Power Plan in Windows 10.

You updated to 20H2 something might have changed but the spikes are normal.

My CPU Ryzen 9 is fine. I am talking about Motherboard Chipset on Aorus Master x570.

Yes, fans are linked to the chipset temperature. With the Official Aorus app, I calibrated fans.

Your fans like case fan + CPU fan should be linked to the CPU temperature. Not the chipset. The chipset already has a fan.

The Chipset is taking care of itself with it's own fan.

Case fan + CPU fan curve should be low and quiet under your CPU spikes temperature and aggressive over that temperature. Do that and everything will be quiet again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Aorus X570 list 2 chipsets to track temps off, wonder which one he is looking at
0VqdgB0.jpg

one is almost always 65C on my board, I don't watch the other so much.

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Your fans like case fan + CPU fan should be linked to the CPU temperature. Not the chipset. The chipset already has a fan.

Aorus X570 list 2 chipsets to track temps off, wonder which one he is looking at
0VqdgB0.jpg

one is almost always 65C on my board, I don't watch the other so much.

Photo viewer that comes with 20H2 caused the most heat. I believe the Chipset CPU(x570) came to 75° which is insane.

That's what I'm trying to tell you from the start. The temperature spikes were there. It's impossible that your 3900X was not temperature spiking before the update. All Ryzen do.

Solution

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015

Ryzen 9 has NO SPIKES. Everything is good with it. Forget about my CPU GPU RAM and other components. I'm talking about the motherboard only.
Motherboard changed behavior after 20H2 update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Reactions: 93boba

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

It doesn't change. Fans were still loud when accessing apps. ("Settings" in this case)
EDIT:
Before, on "Quiet" mode I couldn't hear it at all.
Now, my Dual Xeon Machine is way quieter than this Desktop.

"My CPU Ryzen 9 is fine. I am talking about Motherboard Chipset on Aorus Master x570. "

"Ryzen 9 has NO SPIKES. Everything is good with it. Forget about my CPU GPU RAM and other components. I'm talking about the motherboard only. "

Then you post this.
View: https://imgur.com/a/sL9s30o

How is this not related to your CPU? That's exactly your CPU temperature spiking when you open apps. That's normal....the only difference now is that your fan curve is not set correctly. There might be a difference of 1-2C in your temperature and that will screw up the fan curve and make them go faster by just opening an app even if before the update the fan weren't going faster.