News Windows 3.1 saves the day during CrowdStrike outage — Southwest Airlines scrapes by with archaic OS

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I thought this was a joke when I saw it on twitter.

I am just amazed they have kept it working and haven’t run into serious scalability issues. I guess you can emulate/virtualize older stuff easily on client side, but Windows 3.1 was never a very reliable OS server side.

I also find it funny they get credit for not being hit by an outage because they don’t run newer systems. It’s because they don’t run Crowdstrike. They almost certainly have newer Windows servers and systems elsewhere running XDR, like their corp workforce. Possibly using their cheaper competitor, SentinelOne or even Microsoft’s Defender XDR. If not they are just begging to be breached and ransomwared.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
If all these incompetent companies where relying on Linux systems rather than the piece of trash code that is Windows, we would not even know about the issue because it would not have happened.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Changing an enterprise of that size to anything else is decidedly non-trivial.

Not really, for two reasons.

First, switching from Win16 to anything else is decidedly non-trivial in an enterprise context.
Second and more importantly, from what I know this is only for their scheduling system.

So the entire premise of "changing an enterprise" is a shameful non-sequitor; perhaps even a strawman. Changing just their scheduling system should be fairly straightforward, at least, much easier than switching the entire enterprise good grief.

USAFRet

Titan
Not really, for two reasons.

First, switching from Win16 to anything else is decidedly non-trivial in an enterprise context.
Second and more importantly, from what I know this is only for their scheduling system.

So the entire premise of "changing an enterprise" is a shameful non-sequitor; perhaps even a strawman. Changing just their scheduling system should be fairly straightforward, at least, much easier than switching the entire enterprise good grief.
Well...going from Old Windows to New Windows is a bit easier than going from Old Windows to Linux.

In any case, Southwest has chosen, for the time being, to stay with what they have.

The aforementioned word "easily" is a large understatement.

Why? CrowdStrike's Linux and Mac software clients were unaffected.

Southwest could easily upgrade to Linux or Apple and do just fine.
Statements like this make it sound like you have zero IT corporate experience.

lol ya lets just change all the systems, and what about all the support contracts, all the testing that will be required etc. That would be a big task even in a 50 person company.