News Windows 365 Boot Lets You Boot Directly Into the Cloud

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This is interesting, might be something that may or may not be great depending on their downtime once it’s released.

Though it would be nice to say “sorry can’t work, my cloud desktop is inaccessible” and just hang out.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
This is interesting, might be something that may or may not be great depending on their downtime once it’s released.

Though it would be nice to say “sorry can’t work, my cloud desktop is inaccessible” and just hang out.
I already have to use VPN 100% of the time I work and my data transfers max out at 100KB/s. I can only imagine using this on the VPN!

mjonis

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
Is it really "booting" directly into the cloud, when it sounds like you'll still need a device (ie: Desktop/laptop PC) to boot up and when you "login", then it redirects you to a VDI session "in the cloud"? If not, I can't imagine how slow it would be to actually bootstrap the Windows OS over your internet connection (again, VDI is NOT the same thing, IMO). Sounds more like a "thin client" solution that's been around for many years (Citrix has had it for quite some time).