Windows 7/10 Dual Boot Issue - Chkdsk

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
To anyone that can help.....

I've had both Windows 7 & 10 installed on my machine (both on separate SSD's) for about 6 months now, every so often when i boot it would be asked to run chkdsk which i have always avoided to prevent any system registry files being corrupted, however the other day i powered on the machine and walked away from my desk, when i returned i noticed that chkdsk had started to run and had found and replaced some corrupted system files.

When i rebooted i was no longer able to access Windows 10 as would be presented with BSOD stating that System exception thread had not been handled. This then put me in a loop of crash, restart, attempt repairs, crash, restart....etc

I managed to format the SSD with Windows 10 installed and perform a fresh install, the crash loop started to occur again when i started to install either the Intel chipset driver updated version or the ASmedia USB 3 driver update. I managed to revert to a restore point and stopped the driver updates and haven't had any crashes since.

The problem i have is that every time i boot Windows the CHKDSK utility keeps running on my D drive (the SSD with Windows 10) - so far i've cancelled this every time however i suspect it will catch me out sooner or later and i'll be back into the crash loop situation again. Is there any way i can resolve this as i do not want to give up either version of Windows as i have games that only run on Win 10 and other games that run better on Win 7 (plus i like the interface of Win 7).

I've already disabled fast boot in Win 10 which doesn't seem to have helped a great deal. If i open disk management in Win 7 and unassign the D drive (Win 10 drive) so that it is no longer visible in my computer would this likely prevent chkdsk from starting?

My only other alternative, as i see it, is to create a restore point in Win 10 every day so that if the crash loop starts again at least i won't loose too much data but this is not an ideal situation.

Any help much appreciated!

Fast boot has to be disabled in BIOS.

Yes - do that. And run chkdsk from windows 10.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Or search for other postings, ect. on it. You can also use window's own BCE editor. Good luck, lots of reading, Im not gonna explain it.

http://www.itlisting.org/3-windows-xp/da16e6152ee79e4a.aspx

It went and deleted or changed the files that tell the computer which os and what files to bootup.

To get into UEFI on most systems you hit F12 on bootup, at least on my gigabyte board it is.
(It should tell you on the splash screen which button is boot or UEFI)

You can use both or either UEFI to select between bootable drives and Windows mulitboot to select between drives or partitions.

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Just to give an update, i turned on the computer entered BIOS and checked the fast boot option - this was already disabled, i then loaded my Win 7 OS and opened disk management and deleted the SSD which contained Win 10. Rebooted and chkdsk ran again!

I did mistakenly say earlier on in this thread that it was the SSD which contains Win10 that CHKDSK wanted to verify however it is actually my 4TB HDD that CHKDSK has an issue with. Is it possible that because this HDD is being used by both Win7 and Win10 that CHKDSK is running?

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
To add to my last comment - i've just tried logging onto Win10 and now receive a "BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" error message! Fairly certain that when I deleted the Win10 drive in disk management (whilst in Win7) it messed up the Win10 drive I tried to reassign it back to the same drive letter within disk management (whilst in Win7) and had no choice but to format the drive :( back to square 1...again!

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

I guess that's irreversible? Even if i have to reinstall win10 that's not a big deal but the chkdsk problem is likely going to occur again, any other ideas on how to fix?

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
My windows 7 is still running perfectly fine, disk management is displaying all of my drives but the E drive (which contained win10) has been wiped and so has full capacity available

Everything looks good there.
I understand that E: is where windows 10 was installed?
It's empty now and, if you want windows 10 back, then you'll need to reinstall.

465GB(Disk 0) and 230GB(Disk 1) - those are SSD's right? It is recommended to leave ~10% of drive unused. It is called over-provisioning and helps to reduce SSD wear and maintain it's performance level.
You can delete that empty 33GB partition on Disk 0 and shrink E: partition by ~ 20GB.

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

Correct - it was the E drive that i had Win 10 on
Correct - Disk 0 and 1 are indeed the SSD's
Is the safest way to delete the 33GB partition within the disk management utility?
I've shrunk the E drive by 20GB, should i leave this as unallocated?

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for the advice, i've now deleted the 33GB partition, think I might just avoid reinstalling Win10 until Microsoft stop supporting Win7 as the CHKDSK problem is a pain and seems like it isn't related to fastboot in my situation

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for the advice, i've now deleted the 33GB partition, think I might just avoid reinstalling Win10 until Microsoft stop supporting Win7 as the CHKDSK problem is a pain and seems like it isn't related to fastboot in my situation
I also have similar issue. Windows 7 on 1 Tb HDD (disk0). Installed windows 10 on 240 GB SSD (Disk 1). Whenever I boot from HDD (Win 7) Chkdsk starts. When i allowed it to run, next time i got Disk checking happening on Windows 10 (SSD). I also observed when i saved some files & created a folder on SSD (Win 10 ) while working from Win 7 OS (booted from HDD). Next time when i booted win 10 it went into disk checking. Later on I found all the files & folder vanished from Win 10 SSD. So my dream of fastbooting from SSD on win 10 & keeping HDD for Data (with win 7 OS intavt whenever feel booting from it) has come to a cropper. Is it something to do with HDD/SDD combination? HDD formatted on old win 7 & SSD formatted on Win 10 ????