[SOLVED] Windows 7 3.1 USB drivers/I goofed

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello,

So, I built a new PC for the first time in almost 9 years.

I hadn't upgraded to Windows 10, and it seems I've made a rookie mistake. I was going to do a fresh Windows 10 installation on the new pc, but then I realized I'd prefer to upgrade 7 to 10 (for obvious reasons).

The mistake that I've made was connecting my SSD containing Windows 7 to the new PC. It boots without any problem, but no mouse or keyboard actions available (usb 3.1). I don't have a serial mouse and keyboard.

I reconnected the Win 7 SSD to my old rig, but now it won't boot. I get stuck on 'Please Wait ...'. I've disabled Windows Error Reporting, Network Location Service and Network List Service. I've also set them to 'Take No Action' on recovery. I've also run SFC. The first time, there was a corruption issue that was fixed, the second time I ran it, 'no problems found'.

I can't install USB 3.1 drivers since I can't operate outside of Safe Mode. At this point, I seem to be stuck and would appreciate any advice to resolve this issue. If I can get my old rig to load Windows 7, that would be great, but any other workarounds would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
When you change motherboards the best thing you can do is a clean setup of Windows on it, don't bother moving the drive over. Get another drive, install Windows on that. Plug in your old one and copy your files over to the new setup.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
is asmedia the 3.1 usb driver ? if so i guess i can help... and pls list ur specs...

I think that they would do the trick.

Old Rig:
i5 2500k
gigabyte motherboard (it's been 9 years, I don't remember the model)
8gb Gskillz RAM
gtx 570
Windows 7

New Rig:
Ryzen 2700x
Asus ROG x470f Strix Mobo
16gb Corsair RAM @ 3200mhz
Windows 10 (hopefully)