Windows 7 64 bit causes overheating gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hessemon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hello, I have been using a GeForce 9800 gtx video card with great success until I loaded Windows 7 64 bit. Now I am having overheating trouble just like a hundred others. I have been all over the net, trying to find an answer to my problem. A lot of people responded with pat answers about air circulation replacing the thermal paste, and flashing the bios. The problem is that none of these would change when going from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. The only real change was drivers. Could someone with more time and energy check this out? The problem doesn't seam to be limited to Nvidea though, some people are experiencing the same problems.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The Win 7 aero desktop effects put a continuous moderate strain on a GFx card.

Just disable them and revert to simple 2d desktop effects.

in Win XP my 5850 idles at 53c

in Win 7 Aero Enabled my 5850 idles at 65c

For me I am sticking with these nice new effects, but maybe a lower end card has to work harder / hotter to enable all effects.

To disable:

Right Click Desktop
Click Personalise
Select a Basic Theme

Cool Runnings should be yours again :)

...otherwise if you like the aero, maybe some fiddling with drivers etc will get some improvements if lucky - but at the end of the day the pretty effects needs GFx power... lower end machines cannot run Aero at all in some cases.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
all my fans are on lowest possible speeds throughout my system and is summer here atm ~_^

(and while I am mentioning things - my Antec P182 is in an enclosed(ish) space with lowish cool air access)

is a Very Quiet setup - cannot hear it even feet away in a silent room :)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
hmm

ahh figured why my PC was hotter :)

I had been using a net Live TV app while I was working (everytime I have checked Temps since recently loading Win 7 for 1st install)...
While it uses almost no CPU time 2 - 3%

(using GPU-Z :)

my 5850 GPU Load NO TV = 1 - 8 - 11% GPU load (is rare to hit 11%)
my 5850 GPU Load WITH TV = 1 - 8 - 11% GPU load

But...

NO TV Core 157MHz Mem 300MHz
WITH TV Core 400MHz Mem 900MHz

WITH TV pulls an extra 40 - 50 watts of power from the mains power monitor I use also.

with no TV browser app running my 5850 is also now idling at 51c today

Am in England, Plymouth + is about 23c here today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.