Windows 7 64-bit Creeping Up on 32-bit Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really surprised, nowadays you need more and more memory and 4 GB is I would think is standard in a 2009/2010 mainstream computer, and for 4 GB you'd need 64-bit.

Typo, should be '17.2 billion GB of RAM!', not or. ;)

G

I installed Windows-7 64 bit 6 months ago as a dual boot alternative to 32-bit Windows Xp. I am still not using it on a regular base. Many reasons are there, from BAD Windows Explorer (removed many usable features from Xp and Vista) to 64-bit driver lack. I am not interested in buying new sound card, TV card, printer and DVI PVA monitor (which works only on VGA with Windows 7).

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Strictly speaking you don't need a 64bit OS to address more than 4 GB of RAM, even Microsofts own server OS's could address more than 4 GB in their 32bit incarnations.

I'll go out on a limb and say that 64bit versions of Windows are, currently, pointless. While I still use a 64bit version myself the binary compatibility between 32bit and 64bit versions of the OS means we're never going to see any real amount of 64bit software as developers have no incentive to maintain multiple versions if they're not forced to do so.

There shouldn't even have been a 32bit version on Windows 7 and I can only hope that Windows 8 rectifies that problem while moving legacy (32bit) support into a VM.

It also increases the amount of virtual memory addressable by each application from 1.5GB aswell and makes all that graphics card ram fully addressable in your expensive multi card setups :p

have to remember all memory in your system is limited by the bit depth of the address space

7 64bit definitely worth the buy

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Quite simple. We STILL don't have a lot of 64-bit apps out. However, I am one of the 46% that DO have the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I decided there finally was a need for it, however, I don't have 4 GB of RAM (only 2 GB). I will upgrade when need be. With the kind of RAM I got, the upgrade is only $60 or so. Can you imagine how much 2GB of DDR2 ram would've costed 3 years ago? It's obviously cheaper now and I STILL don't need it. They need to discontinue 32-bit OS's. At this point, though, 128-bit OS's might be a waste.

arokia

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i bought a new copy of window 7 and installed the 64bit version, it worked fine for two days but later i started getting this irritating blue screen problem which causes immediate restart. This started happening every 10 minutes. I think its mainly due to the incompatibility of windows 7 64bit with my X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series creative sound card. So i tried to reinstall 64bit and got the same problem. Then i installed 32bit windows 7 and the problem was solved.

a_mall

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
You need applications too that make use of memory configuration above 4 GB.
With the exception of Adobe CS5, there aren't many software that a normal user would use that benefit from 64-bit architecture.
It has been more than 3 years & i am happy with my 32-bit Vista & 4 GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM .

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
The average user (lite user) with a 2GB machine will see more benefits with 64-bit version with a clean system (no bloatware) because of its low latency nature.

I did an experiment a year ago with my sisters computer (2GB, Athlon x2) and ran 64-bit first, then secretly switched to 32-bit later (about 2 weeks). She came to me about a week after the switch and told me why her computer seemed slower since i "took a look at it" (FYI she never shuts down, only sleep). Since then i instal 64-bit on all my clients PC's with 2GB+ :)

FYI 64-bit also runs on 1GB using about 640MB with active antivirus, with about 300MB "stand by" and 80MB "free" if you need to run 64-bit.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
During Vista launch there was still too many problems with drivers that either didn't exist for 64bit or were in buggy beta stage.
Now most of devices except really few specialized old ones (used mostly in industry) support both 32 and 64 bit and all except few rare 32 bit applications can run in 64bit windows. They still are limited in use to 2GB memory space, but none say there cant be running more of them utilizing all of ram.

I have both 64 bit 7 and Vista. I am glad to report I have had very few problems with it. I have had more issues with the release of dual core then 64-bit Vista/7. 64-bit XP on the other hand was just plain bad.

I like others went 64-bit for more ram(in a consumer version on windows.).

G

FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

"However, "client" versions of 32-bit Windows (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7) limit physical address space to the first 4 GB for driver compatibility [2] and licensing[14] reasons, even though these versions do run in PAE mode if NX support is enabled."

The memory ceiling in 32bit Windows has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's a 32bit OS, assuming the OS in question supports PAE... and I would assume Win7 32bit does.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
They should've never released a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Sometimes you just got to cut the cord on older systems. I hope they finally do this for Windows 8 in the future.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm using 32bit windows 7 because I only have a 32bit processor (P4 2.53ghz northwood), with 3gb of DDR-266 RAM.

Runs like a charm after you disable %90 of the services you don't need, and make sure not to overload it with unneeded background proccesses.

dacman61 if they never released a 32bit version, they would of lost %54 of their sales.

G

I'm only running it because it was preloaded on my new machine. The machine only has 2gb of RAM. It is visibly faster in all regards running 64 bit apps. Runs like a rocket. I am running 32 bit Chrome; but it doesn't seem to be bothered.

I had no problem locating 64 bit drivers for my 3 year old laptop printer; and 2 year old desktop printer. I located a 64 bit driver for my fax program with no problem. Same w/ 64 bit Itunes & Quicktime.

G

"Installing 64bit OS is stupid. No one needs more than 4gb of RAM except people who suffer from a chronic lack of sex."

How many of us remember why the first PC's were DESIGNED for only ONE MB of memory? It was times as much memory as the first consumer computers (64K) and they thought that would be more than anyone would ever need....

As memory gets cheaper, programmers concentrate more on adding features than minimizing code requirements...

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, my last build about 6 months ago used ASUS P6T deluxe, I7 CPU@2.66Ghz running @3Ghz, 12gigs ram, and 256G-SSD in Raid0 with two 500G for data. With the Win7 64bit its the fastest thing I have used to date.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I started using 64 bit with Vista on all five of the machines in my house with 4GB of memory on four and 8GB on my game machine. I've done a W7 upgrade on all the machine with no problems at all. In my opinion W7 is by far the best OS out there for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.