Windows 7 64 bit freezes for 30second to 1 min than come back normal

cchen028

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
So I am having a weird problem where my computer would randomly freezes for around 30 second to 1 min. During that 'freeze' time, i can still move my mouse around and click on things but the cursor would just show as busy. After the frozen time has passed, all the actions done during the freezing time would processed all at once. I brought out the resource monitor and during that freeze time, my cpu seems normal, but my harddrive's highest active time is 100% and not read/writing anydata. I have ran memory test, harddrive test and turns out fine. Also, this happened the second time when i was re-installing windows 7 64bit at the part where i was prompt to enter the product serial and kind of froze and then resume too. (Don't know if this is the same case). Anyway , any help will be appreciated as I have been dealing with this for the past week. Below is what I have done so far but did not helped:

1. RMA the harddrive
2. Change sata ports/cables for harddrive.
3. Set to high-performance in power.
4. Turn off hardddrive sleep/power savings
5. Update the intel chip set.
6. Reinstall win7 in both IDE/ACHI mode.
7. Pray every night.

Below are my computer specs:

WDC Black,1TB,7200rpm,64MB,SATA,6.0Gb/s 3.5"

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold

MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
go into your computer management window and go to event viewer then system logs. this is most commonly caused by a HD time out. sort errors by type and look for any idea/sata/ntfs/disk errors or time outs.

Not trying to hijack, my apologies, but see my sig, my new build, very similar to yours, does exactly the same thing. I see an IASTOR IDE error of some kind over and over again in event viewer. I am using a Corsair 60gig SSD, Force 3 as an OS drive and a WD BLack 1TB as a data drive. If you figure out what is causing this, PLEASE post your results back here! This is driving me nuts. Mine usually does this about 5 to 10 minutes after booting, ALWAYS, then it will never do again even if use the PC for days without shutting down. Shut it down though, and boom 5-10 minutes after boot, it does it again. Other than this, this build is super fast and smooth, no problems at all.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i had iastore issues when i last reinstalled my OS, i fixed it by removing all sata drivers and installing fresh drivers from intels utility. i also installed there SSD management console but i dont think that changed anything. i run 3 intel X25 SSD's.

cchen028

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks for your response!

I have been dealing this for the past few days, and is still not working.

I have install the intel sata driver prior intalling windows 7.
Install the newest version of intel INI, intet management, and intel chipset drivers.

I went to the event log and yes the error was : The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

This occurs when hard drive are in 'heavy load'(installing games, copying big files).
I have disabled the Link Power Management for the harddrive but no big difference.

I noticed that when than hang occurs, under Resource Monitor, all the Harddrive events goes away, and the Highest Active Time goes to 100%. Like I said this is my second harddrive I RMA and dont want to do it again until I am sure what the problem is. Will this caused by defected motherboard/power supply? (My last option is to change the mother board)

Please, any ideas/advice is appreciated, if anyone can help me solve this, I will be very grateful.

cchen028

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

Hey, have you tried disabling the 'Link Power Management'? It may work as most people found this to be the problem.

cchen028

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Ok guys, so i RMAed the board and now everything works out smooth!

I guess it was the board, messed with it for 28 days and finally decided to just rma it.

Thanks for all your help!

neoklis

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Not trying to hijack, my apologies, but see my sig, my new build, very similar to yours, does exactly the same thing. I see an IASTOR IDE error of some kind over and over again in event viewer. I am using a Corsair 60gig SSD, Force 3 as an OS drive and a WD BLack 1TB as a data drive. If you figure out what is causing this, PLEASE post your results back here! This is driving me nuts. Mine usually does this about 5 to 10 minutes after booting, ALWAYS, then it will never do again even if use the PC for days without shutting down. Shut it down though, and boom 5-10 minutes after boot, it does it again. Other than this, this build is super fast and smooth, no problems at all.

I have exactly the same problem, if you could please tell me what you did to solve it would be great! Thanks!