Windows 7 64 bit install problem

IInferno

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I have recently put together my first homebuild and I am now trying to install windows 7 64 bit on the system. The BIOS settings seemed to be fine a I switched to Boot from disk as the first option. After the restart it did the "windows is loading files" and got to the splash screen where it says "starting windows" where it has stayed for the last 30 mins. If anyone could help me, I thank you in advance.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Run a memtest from the BIOS to check if there are no problems with your RAM.
Try clean installing again, after formatting the HDD. It the problem persists, swap the HDD with another one you might be having. If the OS loads on the other one, you have a bad/corrupted first HDD, which you'll need to get replaced.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

What are the BIOS settings for the hard drive? (ATA or AHCI)?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

You need to restart your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.
1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.
2. Do one of the following:
· If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
· If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
4. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
5. On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it. Means select System restore option.