Windows 7 64 bit installs ok after downgrade, but won't restart without cycling between black screen & F2/F12 Toshiba boot.

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
I recently formatted, deleted and disk parted my Toshiba laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8 UEFI. To install Windows 7 I changed the settings to disable secure boot, put in CSM mode and changed the boot order, as one does. So I now have Windows 7 64 bit running, but when I restart/shutdown Windows doesn't load, it just cycles between the select *F2/F12 boot screen* and a *black screen*. I left it for about 5 cycles before I realised it wasn't going to restart and load so had to reinstall again to bring Windows back. I updated only a few of the drivers when I first tried it, and will try again now with a few more... An answer to any one of the below questions would be an immense help.

Could it be the HDD is formatted to MBR not GTP, whether UEFI or legecy is enabled/disabled? UEFI is currently disabled/set to CSM & HDD is MBR, not GTP.
What are the correct boot settings for Windows 7 64 bit on a UEFI Toshiba laptop?
Is it safe to reenable UEFI or will that prevent me from accessing the BIOS/boot options if it doesn't load Windows?
Is my HDD formatted correctly to MBR with the UEFI firmware, or is this a conflict?
What could I safely attempt to get Windows restarting successfully?

I'm unsure which settings will conflict with which and don't won't to risk not being able to enter a bios. I'm really hoping for some advice. Any ideas or comments are very greatly appreciated!

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
Really stupid. I simply changed my boot order back to HDD, then DVD then USB etc. Now it's booting fine. The only other thing I did was ensure a couple more drivers updates were installed, but I don't think that was it.

TRENDING THREADS