Windows 7 64bit can\'t resume from suspend/sleep

daved9000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I just built the following

Asus 6X58D Premium MB
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz
Corsair XMS DDR3 (10666) 1333 6 x 2 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100283-3L
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

everything seemed to come together perfectly, but when i tried to suspend/sleep it, it would not resume.
i.e. the power seemed to return but the video would now show and the pc then crashed, rebooted.

on second attempt, it just sat there w/o video, required a hard reboot.

anybody have any sugguestions?

i did not install any of the vendor drives, instead let Windows 7 64Bit bring in all the support (as we suggested from several venues). Windows Update had seemed to resolve any missing drivers, like for the video card?

daved9000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
thank you for replying to my post, but after some fiddling around, i ended up making a modification in the BIOS settings under the Power Management Settings, and chose the "S3 Only" option under allowed sleep modes (vs S1 only, or "auto). I also went into the windows control manager - Power Configuration, and disabled the "hybrid Sleep" mode (which inadvertently enabled "Hibernate" in my start menu ... another quirk i had noticed, that it was absent before ....). This seemed to do the trick, i am now able suspend the computer and wake it immediately w/out issues. I do not know which of these fixed it, but i suspect it is most likely the latter (power config control pane, vs BIOS). perhaps later I'll isolate it to a particular root cause (or not ...).

problem solved. this was the ONLY issue i've had with this PC. for those of you considering a Solid state drive and in particular, a SATA III one like this, i HIGHLY recommend it. i was able to install windows 7 professional 64 bit in under 15 minutes ... ! the PC boots from cold start in less then about 40 seconds.