Windows 7 64bit "Default Gateway Not Available"

Crepus13

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello,

This problem first cropped up a couple of months ago, after running Windows 7 64bit on my ASUS laptop with no previous issues for the better part of a year.

At completely random times, I lose my Internet connection -- and upon running the Windows troubleshooter, I am told "The default gateway is not available."

At first I thought it was a bandwidth issue, as I noticed more crashing when, say, running the World of Warcraft updater as well as Firefox... but after just doing a full Windows re-install, I found that it happened again within minutes of getting the lappy up and running, with literally nothing running but Windows updater.

The connection is wired (ethernet) directly to a Linksys cable modem.

My network adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I don't really know what that means, but I figured I'd include the info.

As I stated, I've had the lappy since January and it came with Windows 7 64bit factory installed. I've had no problems with my internet connection until this started happening fairly recently. It wasn't a huge issue, just a slight annoyance every few hours or so -- but upon trying to actually game online (which I had been away from for a long while), I found that running the troubleshooter wasn't going to cut it. I need a permanent fix.

And after searching Google (many times), I can safely say I'm far from being alone in this problem -- however the varied fixes I've read about and tried (using a static IP address, updating drivers, deleting drivers, etc) have led to nothing.

Here's hoping some of you guys have come across similar issues!

Thanks in advance,

Conor

PS - I posted this thread in the Windows 7 forum, as well. Everything I've read has tied this issue to Windows 7!

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I actually had the problem for a while. I found a fix for it :D

So first, you go to "Network Connections" in your control panel. (You can go there from "Open network and sharing center" then "Change adapter settings" at the tray icon for your network.)

You should see an icon called "Local Network Connection". Right click it and go to Properties.

In the new window, click "Configure".

You should see "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Properties". From there, go to the "Advanced" tab.

Find the "Speed & Duplex" in the list of Properties and change the Value to "100 Mbps Full Duplex".

This should hopefully remove the issue. :D

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Oh this is such an old thread.. you should probably start your own with your specs and details.

I recently updated to the latest realtek driver and found that it was significantly better than before.

I used to get disconnected randomly during the day (default gateway not available), but now it never cuts me off the net while i'm downloading stuff or playing games.

However, i still have that problem when i start up the computer sometimes.. it's easily fixed by doing the diagnose on the connection, but after that it never bothers me again unless I restart the computer.

If you still have the same problem after updating to the latest drivers.. I'd make a new thread about your problems and maybe someone can help you out better.