Windows 7 64bit SUPER SLOW

Flamesjowel

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hello all,

Im usually pretty good with computers, components and drivers stuff, but this time I am defeated.

It's the frist time I'm installing a 64 bit OS on my system. I have a fairly high end build which is described at the end of this post. I did a clean install, so I first formated my HD then started a fresh windows 7 install.

The installation took 22 hours. I left it going yesterday over night and all day long, when I came back from work yesterday evening it wasnt finished yet. Took around 1h then it went to the ending screen asking for my account name, password and computer's name.. Once entered, going from this screen to the next one took around 15-20 mins... and so on... I'm still trying to boot it right now, it's taking ages..

Not sure if it's gonna be slow once it's started, but I have the feeling it's gonna be super slow... Something is going wrong.

Notes:
- If I install a 32 bit OS (any), it takes like 20 mins.
- Yes, my proc is 64 bit compatible
- I tried tons of solutions found on google from other users having the same issue, none worked.
e.g. - Disabling floppy drive in BIOS
e.g. - Unplugging all external components
e.g. - Installing from another DVD drive
e.g. - Installing to another hard drive
etc.

I did not update BIOS or mobo chipset, im not sure how to do that without a floppy. USB drive I guess? Does it worth the try?

System spec:

PROC: Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHZ
MOBO: Intel DG965WH
GFX: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 460 OC 815 MHZ
HDD: WD Raptor 10k RPM 150gb
RAM: 2 Kingston 2 gb ram bars 800 MHZ 5-5-5-12
RAM: 2 Corsair 1 gb ram bars 800 MHZ 5-5-5-12
PSU: Corsair 520w

If anyone has a solution, please share!
Thanks !!

Solution
@ Op-
The only thing you can do now, is to UPDATE the bios. It will resolve the problem, no gpu drivers will work, dont try, the bios is the thing.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try this. Remove the 2 Kingston 1GB DIMMs and only install with the 2 Corsair 2GB DIMMs. I suspect an issue with the memory timings may be contributing to your issue. Also, make sure you CPU and memory are set to default speeds (or AUTO) in the BIOS. No overclocking while installing.

Good luck!

Flamesjowel

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Weird...

I was wrong about the corsair, they were the ones 1gb and the kingston 2gb. Since the corsair were only 1gb and the oldest of my ram sticks, I removed the corsairs, then restarted.

Problem fixed!! Win7 super fast now, but in crappy resolution since my graphic card drivers are not installed.

Then I installed the drivers from my CD, then you know what.. the super slowness CAME BACK right after the reboot upon installing the graphic drivers.. WTH !?

So I tough these drivers are probably outdated, so I downloaded the last version, installed it, no luck, everything is still super slow, but in a different way.

Now windows is booting correctly, everything seems fine, it's just my CPU whos running crazy..

If im not moving the mouse, CPU is at 1%. When I move the mouse, CPU stays still but when I roll over an icon, open a folder, open a software, CPU goes to 100% immediatly.

It's insane..... anyone has an idea what could cause this?? Seems like original issue is gone.. now it's something different..

Thanks

Flamesjowel

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
woah.. I just uninstalled all my display drivers.. super speed is back!! Now everything is fine... except I dont have any graphic drivers lol.. im running windows 7 in 640 X 480 great :(

Note that graphic card was running fine 2 days ago before the fresh install (on vista 32 bits).

What's going on? im desperate

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Do you have another video card you could swap in for troubleshooting? Also, did you use driversweeper (google it, if not) to remove all video drivers to allow for the cleanest possible install?

Yatzi

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Are you sure your graphics drivers are 64 bit drivers? If they are 32 bit that might be your problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
32-bit drivers will not work on a 64-bit OS, so that is not the problem. Temps could be an issue, but not likely as the system is bogging down before the drivers actually matter. A BIOS update may help with overall system stability, but not likely in this case to solve this problem.

This issue points to the GPU and/or its drivers. Run driversweeper, clean everything out and install the drivers from scratch.

Good luck!

Flamesjowel

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I was wrong about the graphic drivers. It wasnt related at all with that..

55range was right thank you, that fixed it!!! Woah.. around 20 hours of debugging / headaches / testing for a 1 min BIOS update.

Next time anyone has trouble with slow / buggy win 7 64 bit install or CPU spiking to 60-75% every seconds once installed, update your BIOS FIRST !!!! :)

Thanks everyone!