Windows 7/8 fps drop

VrtniPatuljak

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
So I've went to Windows 8 from Windows 7 to give it a try and did not like it. When I installed Windows 7 again Chivalry Medieval Warfare and Planetside 2 became unplayable. It went from 50-60 fps on Ultra settings to 10fps on Low. While other new games run fine like BioShock Infinite on High and MechWarrior Online on Very High. Both times were clean installs with format from a DVD and with the latest drivers. Also I used TuneUp 2013 on both.
My config is:
ASUS m4a87td evo(2001 bios-last)
ASUS GeForce 560ti DCII
8GB Kingston DDR3 1600mhz
AMD Phenom II 955 BE
WD Velociraptor 300gb 16mb
Can anyone think of what could possibly be causing the issue because it just doesnt make sence to me that all of a sudden Win 7 has inferior fps when it didnt before I tried Win8? It's driving me nuts...I cant go back to Win8 again :'(

nickul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
what you did not mention is if you have been playing those 2 games on windows 7 before u went to 8.
Does the 50-60 fps refers to how it ran on the windows 7 that you had before installing win8?

I can share a similar experience with Adobe After Effects, how it was really usable in windows 8 (i first ever used it in windows 8) and when i went back to windows 7 it really became unusable for editing. The actual final rendering may or may not have been the same, but editing effects and animations in After Effects works probably a few times faster in windows 8 than in windows 7, on the same hardware. i was really amazed by this, and now i'm back to "good old" windows 8 for good :D

EDIT: now that i read everything, (i didn't read under the computer specs :p ) i can see what you mean.. you may have outdated video drivers, (although sometimes older drivers can run faster than newer ones, so in this case you may have Updated drivers :D:D ). Check that you have directx updated also... there is something you didn't do ok on your last w7 install.. check ALL the things! :D

VrtniPatuljak

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
To clarify both games played well on Windows 7 before I installed 8 and now that I went back they wont.

I had the same drivers as I update regularly, also the games worked well with them on win8 but they wont on win7. I updated directX, have all the windows updates...I dont know what else I could do, nothing is different and yet it does not work

nickul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
i'm a noob with windows 8's UEFI bios thing, and what it may impact, but i saw many new motherboards get out bios updates that install the UEFI bios that windows 8 can use. As far fetched as it may be, did you do a bios upgrade before or while having windows 8?

On another path, you should check the GPU temperatures, maybe the downgrade coincided with some hardware malfunction of GPU's cooling? A burning GPU usually gives such drastic FPS drops.

VrtniPatuljak

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I updated bios before windows 8 so its the same version on all 3 tries, there hasnt been a nee one in a while. The gpu temperature is around 45 celsius when idle and around 72 on full load in both cases so I think the cooling is ok.

TRENDING THREADS