Windows 7, 8, or 10?

F80_Adrian

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here so excuse me if I've done something incorrectly.

For the past 3 or so months, I've been slowly researching and selecting parts for an upcoming build. As most of you know, Windows 10 was recently announce, and is due to come out late next year. With this in mind, I'm having trouble deciding on an OS. I was going to go with Windows 8, but with 10 scheduled to come out, is it worth paying more for Windows 8, or is it better to go with Windows 7 since I'll only be using it for a year anyway? I'm going to be using it to do pretty much everything; gaming at 1080p, photoshop, some video editing, and other miscellaneous tasks including school work. My budget is pretty stretched as is, without either of them, so I'm really considering Windows 7 instead. What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your time!! :D

Here's a link to the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X9DY23

dooa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Sorry, iceblitzed, that is just bad advice.
If you know Win 7 and it does what you want stick with it. Learning a new OS to do the same tasks is just stupid. This is especially true in Win 8 as the interface will change soon. Windows 7 has mature drivers and great support, Win 8 is just not there yet. Win 10 may be good, but again why learn another way to do the same things?
My son spent a month learning Win 8 when it came out. He is as fast or faster than I am on Win 7. But I am now 100 paragon levels ahead of him in D3. In a couple of months Win 10 will displace Win 8 and all that Metro learning time will be shown as the waste it was.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It is really up to you both OS's will get the same thing done, however if you are trying to get W8 to be W7 you might as well get a W7 machine. Be aware that W7 will only be around for less than 6 years.. if you only plan on upgrading to W10 W8 might be the OS to get.

For me personally i'd go with W7 as it's far easier/familiar to use.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Here is what I think. As much as I hate windows 8 I think it's the one you should get. Windows 8 is faster and improved on many levels. The new metro UI sucks and I hate it with a passion, but you can simply bring back the win7 startmenu with 3rd party software that cost 5$. And to be honest I never have to deal with that horrible metro ui anymore.

Also, I have the feeling the windows10 upgrade from win8 will probably be free or very very cheap.

One more thing about windows 8 is that the licence is linked to the user and not the computer. So in theory if you change your computer down the road you can simply use your windows 8 licence.
Where as windows 7, the licence is linked your your computer so if you change your computer you will need to buy a new licence.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
My feeling is that Windows 8 will be a better upgrade path to Windows 10. If you get Windows 8.1 you can set itr to boot into the desktop and it's almost exactly like Windows 7 and you never have to see the Metro screens if you don't want to. If you purchase Windows 8.1 the upgrade to 10 will be through the store. You allways have less driver issues if you purchase a pc with the latest OS.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
My feeling is that Windows 8 will be a better upgrade path to Windows 10. If you get Windows 8.1 you can set itr to boot into the desktop and it's almost exactly like Windows 7 and you never have to see the Metro screens if you don't want to. If you purchase Windows 8.1 the upgrade to 10 will be through the store. You allways have less driver issues if you purchase a pc with the latest OS.

F80_Adrian

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

I don't really mind the win8 UI. I hated it like everyone else, but I learned to use it and it's not a problem for me anymore. Plus the fact that all the latest drivers, software, etc. are supported by Win8, it's almost a no brainer. The only issue I have is the cost for win8 over win7, but like you mentioned, considering there will more than likely be a significant cost reduction for people upgrading from 8 to 10, the entire thing will more or less even out in my opinion. So I'm going with Win8

Thanks for the advice

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

You are the first one I meet that says he doesn't mind the metro UI. So with that in mind, I guess you make the right decision for windows 8.

I use it with a SSD and it's perfect! (except the metro UI lol)