Windows 7/8 support for Skylake-X?

Coretz

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
I'm wondering if Skylake-X is included in Microsoft's promise to continue releasing security updates for Windows 7 and 8?

I ask because I'm fairly decided on what CPU to get for my next build, probably the successor to the 6800K (Guessing i7-7800K). I want a Skylake 6 core CPU on Windows 7 or 8.1. Research links are much appreciated!

Solution
Sorry, that should've been "shouldn't be any" hardware compatibility issues.

I would surmise that:
W7 and W8.1 (as of the latest 'word' from MS) will get full support for 'supported devices' (OEMs) through 2020 (W7) and 2023 (W8.1) on Skylake and Kaby Lake (and any 'new' releases likely Skylake-X).

Therefore, there's no definitive guarantee, but I would think that security patches as a minimum will be available.

The i7-6800K is a solid chip, but whether it would be a 'better choice' is impossible to say, since we don't know too much about the upcoming chips.

The 6800K should have a better chance of full-scale support for longer though. Only Skylake was ever given a 'cut off'.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't think there's a definitive answer necessarily, but security-wise, I would expect it to be supported.

On the one hand, there should be an hardware compatibility issues between Skylake-X and W7 or W8 as far as architecture - and with extended W7 support ongoing, it *should* be supported.

On the other hand Kaby Lake doesn't officially 'support' Windows 7. While it runs in most cases, there's no guarantee of driver support etc.

From a security standpoint, I don't see why it wouldn't be 'supported in that sense'. They're patching the OS, and providing the hardware is capable of running the OS (which it should be, albeit potentially lacking driver support), then the OS will be patched.

With no guarantees of driver support even short-term (let alone longer term), I wouldn't think W7 + Skylake-X would be particularly great idea, but from a security standpoint should be safe.

*EDIT*
Older articles stated:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/

Microsoft is discontinuing support for these versions of Windows on Skylake on July 17, 2017.

After that point, only the “most critical” security fixes will be released for those platforms. There’s no guarantee of that either, as these fixes will only be released if they don’t “risk the reliability or compatibility” of Windows 7 and 8.1 on non-Skylake systems.

Then it was pushed to 2018:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pushes-back-windows-7-on-skylake-support-cut-off-date-from-2017-to-2018/

Now the official line is only 'supported devices' will get full support (OEMs generally)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-extends-again-support-for-windows-7-8-1-skylake-based-devices/

List of supported devices:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported

Now I read that to mean security patches will be there for all, but it's pretty ambiguous.

Coretz

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

Bold my own highlight. Is that supposed to be a "shouldn't be any"?

Would you surmise that support for Skylake-X would be like Skylake, or Kaby Lake? I'm not really interested in Kaby Lake, but I am concerned that Skylake-X will not be supported. Namely, I'm planning on Windows 8.1 having extended support til 2023 on Skylake-X.

Would you suggest that the 6800K would be a better choice?

I appreciate your help, Grandmaster Barty.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sorry, that should've been "shouldn't be any" hardware compatibility issues.

I would surmise that:
W7 and W8.1 (as of the latest 'word' from MS) will get full support for 'supported devices' (OEMs) through 2020 (W7) and 2023 (W8.1) on Skylake and Kaby Lake (and any 'new' releases likely Skylake-X).

Therefore, there's no definitive guarantee, but I would think that security patches as a minimum will be available.

The i7-6800K is a solid chip, but whether it would be a 'better choice' is impossible to say, since we don't know too much about the upcoming chips.

The 6800K should have a better chance of full-scale support for longer though. Only Skylake was ever given a 'cut off'.

Solution

Coretz

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
So I was actually able to get an answer from Microsoft Support, and they said that I shouldn't have an issue with getting updates for Windows 7/8 on Skylake-X. Just that they said to consider that Windows 10 will have the latest DirectX, which would allow for more up-to-date games. They didn't push it though. So it looks like I can go ahead and wait for the 7800K :3 Yay!