Windows 7 Acting a Weird After Motherboard Swap

accesscpu

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I recently did a complete motherboard upgrade in order to install a new CPU and a few extra RAM sticks. I didn't want to have to reformat my hard drive and start over, so I found a work around where the OS would still load by changing the disk mode from AHCI to IDE and things worked great. I was able to get everything up and running fairly smoothly.

There are, however, two lagging issues I'm still trying to troubleshoot.

First, I notice that when I reset my BIOS to their default settings, Windows won't boot and locks up at the slash screen. I then have to go back and redo the disk mode settings as before. Does this mean I have to leave this setting changed forever (or until I reformat my drive and install the OS fresh)?

Second is more concerning. I have very few items loading at start up and my system typically boots fairly fast (within 60-90 seconds). However, after the upgrade, the start-up tone doesn't play until several minutes AFTER Windows has finished booting (instead of within the initial few seconds). That seems very weird and I'm wondering if that is something that has gotten corrupt in the upgrade?

Any thoughts? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!