Windows 7 Activation after upgrading my PC

nexuslotus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for over 3 years. I purchased the full retail version, not OEM or upgrade. When I performed clean re-install of Windows 7 on my PC for over 10 times in the past 3 years, I did not have any problem activating it using the product key.

I recently upgraded my old PC by replacing CPU, MOBO, GPU, SSD, performed clean re-install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit using the same installation DVD that I purchased, and guess what Windows 7 will not activate saying my product ID is not valid.

It appears that Microsoft records some of the hardware information to the product ID when I initially activated Windows 7. I understand that this will prevent same product ID being used on multiple PCs, but if you are simply upgrading and replacing the old parts on the same PC, you should be allowed to activate the Windows.

1) How do I resolve this issue and activate Windows 7 Ultimate 64?

2) I thought only OEM version of Windows 7 is locked to the first MOBO. Is this not true?

3) Which hardware information is sent to Microsoft along with the product ID for retail version of Windows 7?

I assume you do not have to purchase brand new Windows OS every time you upgrade certain component of your PC.