windows 7 after new motherboard

mshingler

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I have an HP desktop and the motherboard got fried during a storm. The system was completely dead. Now, I've replaced the mother board but can't get Windows 7 back. I do not have an installation disk. When the computer tries to load windows, I get a message that Windows is unable to start and that it may be because of a recent hardware change. I've run windows startup repair, but it still won't fix the problem or let me get into Windows. Not sure what to do.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
From what I understand MS licenses are tied to the motherboard so that is probably why there is that error message. That is funny it didn't fry the PSU. There are Windows 7 install discs you can download legally online as long as you have a key.

you will need a copy of windows to fix this issue. My guess is you changed the motherboard to a completely different motherboard correct? Different model number. If so this is why you have the issue and is able to be corrected with the windows disk. you will need to track down a copy of the exact same OS that you had before. this means it will need to be either Win 7 Basic, Win 7 Home Premium, Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Ultimate and the proper Bit version also, 32 or 64 bit. maybe someone you know has one of the same version you could borrow.

OEM win 7 keys are tied to the motherboard but you can call Microsoft and explain your situation and most likely get them to override it for you.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Your windows installation was for the old MB? Then you have motherboard driver/configuration problems. A complete reinstall is needed. If the OS is OEM then legally you cannot reuse the license from the first installation.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Yes you can call Microsoft and resolve the issue but without being able to boot into the OS you cannot apply the key.

This should work for you mshingler:

Create a recovery disk if you don't have one. You can make one off any Windows 7 machine you can possibly find. (Friend or family or work)

• Boot up the PC from your Windows installation disk
• Press and hold SHIFT and then press F10
• Input "bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS /force" (without quotes)
• Restart the PC

Best of luck let us know

mshingler

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

I was able to get a recovery disk. However, can't seem to get the shift-f10 to work.

mshingler

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

far as I can tell, the lightning hit a direct bury ethernet cable that is connected directly to the router which is wired to the desktop LAN. That's why the PSU survived.

mshingler

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
When I boot up the recovery disk, it runs startup recovery. In the startup recovery diagnosis and repair details, it says, "Root cause found: A patch is preventing the system from starting.

mshingler

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Well, after a lot of fooling around with the command prompt and different "bootrec" commands, I finally downloaded the ISO of Windows 7, made an installation disk and used that. So, now, I'm up and running.
Now, I'm wondering how hard it is to restore select programs and settings from the "windows.old" folder? I don't want to restore the whole thing if I don't have too.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts