Question Windows 7 and 10 dual boot

TERM1nu5

Honorable
May 12, 2014
I have Win 7 now and plan to add a partition for Win 10. I work from home and when I'm not working I'm playing my Steam games or watching an occasional show. I can't afford to lose my computer access for a whole day or 3 doing a full wipe and install for Win 10 and everything I need to download again. SLOW internet here and doing the Win 10 during the night and reinstalling the current games I play while still having access to everything in Win 7 is very important. I wanted to know if I can delete my Win 7 partition after I have Win 10 setup with everything to reclaim that space? I've never tried to delete a C drive partition on a computer and I'm not even sure you can. Would I need a 3rd party program to do this? Would using window's partition software work fine?

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to tread carefully when doing anything with Windows 10, I've had some folks who needed to reinstall the OS(Windows 10 and the other OS) and the very thing you're worried about doing at the beginning of your thread. If anything, keep two physical drives for the two OSes and always(I really mean it!) always, keep a backup of your critical drives contents. Also, make sure your steam library is on another physical drive in case you'd want to format and loose only the OS.

TERM1nu5

Honorable
May 12, 2014
Thanks for the help. I was hoping I could get away with not getting another drive. :) I try to only keep 1 drive at a time due to heat and I back everything up on a dual bay/mirrored usb drive for heavy stuff and usb sticks for work stuff. I probably rely on Steam Cloud a bit too much as well. I've always meant to make a mirror image backup of a clean install and every time I.... just don't. I've never had a hard drive just flat out fail and am certainly too over confident and long overdue. It's been since Win 98 and XP days since I had 2 OS's on each their own drive. I feel so stupid asking this. I used to know these things and am so out of touch now days. Will I be able to wipe the Win 7 drive or is it always going to need to be the primary no matter what when booting up the computer?