Windows 7 (and 10) System Lockup - Motherboard??

KILL-DE-KANGAROO

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Hope you guys can help.

I have the below setup:
GA-990FXA-UD5 Motherboard
AMD 990FX 8350 (No Overclock)
Zotac 980ti Xtreme 6GB (No overclock)
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHZ
1000W Corsair PSU
1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
1TB Samsung Hybrid SSHD

Now to the problem, my system randomly locks up. I mean locks up without the ability to access task manager and all audio stops instantly, hard reset is the only option I have.

I first started noticing it when I tried the upgrade to W10 back on release. So figured it was incompatibility with some drivers so I tried a clean install. The freezes happened during gaming (Skyrim mostly). However after the fresh install it still occurred. So, I went back to Windows 7 as this has always been stable for my setup.

Now however, I seem to have my system freeze up watching Youtube videos on my Windows 7 build. I haven't experienced any freezes while gaming yet, despite extensive amounts of time on some intense games such as AC Unity.

My graphics card, power supply and SSD have been installed after the freezes began so I know these won't be factors causing this.

One thing I did notice a while back was my system failed to POST when starting up, obviously caused a bit of a panic thinking my motherboard was dead. However after leaving it switched off for about 20mins with no power, it kicked back in.

With the above info, the question that keeps playing in my head is: do I need a motherboard?

KILL-DE-KANGAROO

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014

Due to work commitments, this won't be something I'll be able to do except for maybe 1/2 tomorrow and same the day after...:(

KILL-DE-KANGAROO

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014

I haven't ran memtest in about 5 years, didn't know it could be done via boot USB now, will try tonight and let you know the results.