[SOLVED] Windows 7 and Skylake USB drivers

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I know this is an aging question that has been asked by many but trust me I’ve exhausted all my resources. I am running an Asus Z-170-e motherboard with a 6600, and I cannot for the life of me get the USB to work properly. I’ve tried installing from USB with the support disk inserted, I’ve tried installing from a usb CD drive with the support disc in the sata drive, (and vice versa) I’ve tried injecting autoattend into the windows 7 installer (none of these solutions got me past the installer). Finally as a last resort I’ve installed windows 7 via sata drive and tried installing USB drivers post install, and that doesn’t work properly (I say properly because if I uninstall and delete the proper usb drivers and restart, the system loads some default drivers that throw errors, but I can use my mouse this time). I’ve been getting away with using a ps2 keyboard with mouse keys on to test but I’d like to find a proper solution. (Windows 7 is fully updated if that means anything) Am I just being dense and missing a simple solution or do I just need to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 10.

Another question I have is, shouldn't the correct drivers work with Windows 7, or is it something that you need to have during the install. And if It is something to do with the install, is there anyway that I can do this after installation?

(If you are wondering I was running Windows 10 prior, I didn’t like it and I just purchased an SSD, so I’m swapping to that as a boot drive)

Solution
Windows 7 does not have usb3.1 drivers so trying to install via a usb drive will not work.
There is a complicated method of slipstreaming usb3.1 drivers into the install stream.

The simple solution is to use a sata connected cd/dvd drive to do the install.
Windows 7 does not have usb3.1 drivers so trying to install via a usb drive will not work.
There is a complicated method of slipstreaming usb3.1 drivers into the install stream.

The simple solution is to use a sata connected cd/dvd drive to do the install.

Solution

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

I understand that, and I installed windows via a sata drive, but now that windows is installed, the USB drivers still refuse to work.

The drivers that were on the cd that came with the motherboard should work.
They may not be the latest and you should be able to download them directly from the motherboard web site.

Are we talking about the rear panel USB ports or the front ports which are connected via a cable internally.
Check the pin orientation carefully for those.

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

What happens is when i first installed the OS, my keyboard and mouse work, however they are running on windows's generic drivers, the mouse's scroll wheel doesnt work and the locklights on the keyboard dont work. The USB ports dont work with any other devices. When I use the disk the Mobo came with to install the drivers (or the online drivers) both deactivate and nothing responds to being plugged into USB.