Windows 7 boot from bios to login -> 10 minutes

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the ISO (doubt it) or my hardware (more likely).

I have motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
BIOS version F2 (updated today 12/12/2009)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245
RAM: ddr2 800, 4GB (2x2GB)
Windows: 7 Ultimate 64bit
Video: GeForce 8800 GT 512MB, PCI-Expressx16 -- latest driver from nvidia (downloaded today 12/12/2009)
Monitors: two (2) 19" Widescreen LCD. One is DVI, another is VGA+adapter=DVI.

Problem:
Win7 setup... first restart... bios finished... blank/black screen for 10 minutes (or so)... then win7 resumes fine.
This 10-min delay happens every time win7 restarts.

Previous OS: Windows XP Pro 32bit, SP2. No problem with booting.

I have tried unplugging one monitor, switching, using the onboard ... all with same result.

Can anyone help me, I'm desperate -- about to ditch win7 and go back to XP pro.

Thanks,
-Sliem

It is likely a driver or a combination of drivers and/or too many programs loading when booting to desktop. Have you run MSCONFIG and stopped unnecessay programs from loading at start up? Check Gigabyte's online product page for updated Win 7 system drivers. Try posting this in the Windows 7 Forum for help.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

It can't be "too many programs loading" because this is a fresh install, there is nothing else installed.
I will check Gigabyte's online product page for updated win7 system drivers. Hopefully they have something.

gamerk316: yes windows7 loading screen shows after about 10 minutes of black screen.
I haven't tried going to safe mode. I may have tried pressing F8 but it does nothing (don't remember), maybe I was pressing F8 at the "wrong time."

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have installed win7 ultimate 32bit on another computer successfully. This leads me to believe that my primary computer hardware is the cause. I think it's the bios settings... I have Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (latest bios using its @Bios program to update) and AMD Athlon II X2 245. 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 and GeForce 8800GT 512MB. If needed, I can tell my bios settings... any help? Thanks!

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well unless you messed with BIOS, the only variable that can affect this is the change in OS from XP-7. Therefore you can narrow it to be Windows 7 and its most likley a Driver issue. However you must take into consideration that Windows XP on a fresh install w/ updates took up around 180MB of ram on idle right after start-up. Windows 7 takes up around 800-900MB on a fresh Install w/updates and remember there are updates being released like every day or every other day since its new. Your best bet right now is telling me the exact model of your hard drive, becuase a a sluggish one is all it takes for a slow boot.

G

I had a similar problem with a different Gigabyte MB.
Please try this:
If you don't have a floppy drive, disable the option for floppy drive in your bios.
Would love to hear if this solution worked.

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Experienced a similar bug but on a different mobo (Long delay. 5-7 minutes until login screen).

Turned out to be a sound driver issue. Uninstalled the sound driver. Restarted and after windows reinstalled the driver, the problem went away. Good luck!