[SOLVED] Windows 7 Brightness Slider has no effect on actual brightness

Jan 6, 2021
Why is my Windows brightness slider is adjusted, but has no proper effect on actual brightness? No matter how you adjust the slide, brightness is always at max, only decreases (dims) between 40 and 55.

I have tested every possible Intel HD graphics driver version out there and checked it in three different OS; Windows 7, 10 and Ubuntu. Shows the same symptoms in each.

Tried calibrating the screen, but no dice.

Might it be the bios, graphics driver or the hardware issue?

Computer : Toshiba Satellite L755-S5242 (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop, then check to see if reinstalling your GPU drivers alleviates the issue. If the GPU in your laptop is the iGPU and not a discrete unit, see if you can source a latter revision of Intel's HD graphics.

On that note, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall said drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop, then check to see if reinstalling your GPU drivers alleviates the issue. If the GPU in your laptop is the iGPU and not a discrete unit, see if you can source a latter revision of Intel's HD graphics.

On that note, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall said drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution