Windows 7 BSOD - atikmpag.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAGEATOMSK

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Hi everyone. I just had a computer built and at first everything ran fine, but now when I play games my screen will freeze up and eventually BSOD saying atikmpg.sys is what is causing this. I'm not sure how to fix this and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Here's my specs:
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7870
CPU - AMD FX 8350
MB - ASUS M5A99X EVO R 2.0
RAM - 2x4gb Corsair Vengence

edit: not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm using 2 monitors - one of them is VGA while the other is HDMI

Solution
1) Uninstall your AMD drivers through the Control Panel.

2) Download Driver Sweeper by Guru3D - http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/display_driver_uninstaller_download,10.html (Wait 5 seconds, then the download will start.

3) Save the downloaded file to your Desktop.

4) Boot into Safe Mode and run the file downloaded.

5) Select AMD as your graphics driver, then click on the Highly Recommended option.

6) Your PC will boot normally, download AMD's latest drivers and install them.

If this doesn't fix your problem, please let me know.
1) Uninstall your AMD drivers through the Control Panel.

2) Download Driver Sweeper by Guru3D - http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/display_driver_uninstaller_download,10.html (Wait 5 seconds, then the download will start.

3) Save the downloaded file to your Desktop.

4) Boot into Safe Mode and run the file downloaded.

5) Select AMD as your graphics driver, then click on the Highly Recommended option.

6) Your PC will boot normally, download AMD's latest drivers and install them.

If this doesn't fix your problem, please let me know.

Solution
why do you need driver sweeper programs ?? don't amd drivers come with a uninstaller?? the ones I use do never had issues that had ne resort to a 3ed party program ... all you do is go to add/remove programs [programs and features] -amd catalyst install manager clisk it follow prompts - remove all amd drivers follow prompts when back at desktop the card should be on the generic vga driver built into windows re boot back to desk top and install the new driver that you downloaded to a file on the desktop .. its that simple no #4 no#5 don't forget to read the foot note on the file you have to remove manually
I see you did not inform him on that part

SAGEATOMSK

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Hey bud thanks for the reply. I followed your steps exactly. I'll run some games and report back.

where I say new card just remove your card and reseat it

remove all the cards drivers and software [like msi afterburner, or some kinda add on programs] to were when you reboot all the card has to run on is the defult windows display driver [windows defult display driver wount do any heavy stuff]reboot back to desktop and check if things seem to be in order. if so go to device manager-display- right click your card - propertys - driver - update driver to let windows find a newer driver for your card [windows should only update the cards driver and not any ccc,or 3ed party programs like afterburner type programs] reboot and test that out if things seem to be good there if so then you can look at the added stuff like the ccc or the outher software that may be causing a conflict

start computer as normal-- got to add/remove programs--- uninstall all your old cards drivers and add on programs for the card--- shut down and then reboot back to desktop normally [ i dont like to do safemode here cause it my hide an issue ] and it should be running on the windows default driver to check-- go to device manager-display- right click your card [it may just say generic vga ] - property's - driver - and see that driver provider is microsoft- if so shut down and turn off psu switch unplug it wait a min or so push the power button like you normally do to start the computer to see if its discharged-- [if the computer comes on for like a second or two and dies it now discharged] then remove your old card and install the new card as proper install instructions show for your new card-- when you got everything in order and installed correctly [monitor and all] put power back to the psu turn on switch start up computer normally and let it boot to desktop and it should be running on windows default drivers if it looks good with no issues install your new cards drivers and reboot as prompted. and hopefully all will be good to go. i like to download the driver from nvidia/amd to a file on the desktop and install it from there

also you may want to look at downloading the Microsoft dx9 runtime incase the program/games need a file that not already in 7

SAGEATOMSK

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
just an update - since the op i've followed TechCIDLC's advice, reseated my gpu to make sure its seated properly, and installed 2 more fans. i've yet to bsod, crash or freeze, anything. ill update if something bad happens, if not ill mark as solved

SAGEATOMSK

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I had to change where to write the dump file to the minidump folder, I'm waiting for it to crash again so I can see what it says. Can I add you on Skype or something so I can report whats happening a bit faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.