Windows 7 clock keeps changing

Doornobbbb

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I have a Dell M101Z laptop with windows 7 home edition. I work in construction (dust) so I decided to give the laptop a thorough dusting by taking it apart. I removed laptop battery, held the power button down for about 10 seconds to drain all power, grounded myself and proceeded to take it apart. In the processes I also removed the cmos battery to ensure no electricity or short. I dusted everything and put it all back together. Upon first start up, I heard (5) *beeps* and the screen didn’t turn on. I held down the power button to restart it and it was smoothing sailing until I got into windows which is when I realized the clock not being synced.

Here are the steps I’ve taken so far to try and fix this:
 Attempt #1 - Went to bios and changed time and date manually and saved. When it got into windows the problem didn’t get resolved.
 Attempt #2 - Left click on the clock on the bottom right hand corner of the screen > went to “change date and time setting” > “internet time” tab > “change settings” > checked off sync with internet time server syncing with “time.windows.com” > clicked “update now” and boom, thought problem was fixed but after restart it went back to a different time.
 Attempt #3 – I went to start > search > typed in” services.msc” > went to “windows time” > set it from manual to automatic. Problem still exists.
 Attempt #4 – I downloaded the AO1 bios flash from the dell website specifically for my laptop thinking bios got wiped…didn’t fix the problem either.
 Attempt #5 – I bought a Samsung Evo 850 SSD to replace the current conventional HD using the mirroring method. Hard drive works great but clock issue is still there. I did a system recovery and issue is still there.
Any help would greatly be appreciated, this is driving me insane!

yeskay

Distinguished

The culprit is CMOS Battery. Your system time is out of sync, mostly because the CMOS Battery may have gone bad. Replace it with a new one and you should get the right time. Also its dirt cheap and easy to replace. Cheers!

Doornobbbb

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
The culprit is CMOS Battery. Your system time is out of sync, mostly because the CMOS Battery may have gone bad. Replace it with a new one and you should get the right time. Also its dirt cheap and easy to replace. Cheers![/quotemsg]

I verified and checked the cmos battery with a volt meter, the battery seems fine...I also checked the connection between mobo and cmos battery with a volt meter and that seems fine too

Doornobbbb

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

I was extremely careful in taking the laptop apart, I don't see any reason why/how the mobo can possibly be damaged, but I did take that extra step and took everything apart again to visually verify that everything looks fine.

A voltmeter alone is not the proper way to test a battery. Even an almost dead battery can read full voltage under a no load condition. CMOS batteries are cheap. Replace it whether or not you think it should be.

yeskay

Distinguished

I verified and checked the cmos battery with a volt meter, the battery seems fine...I also checked the connection between mobo and cmos battery with a volt meter and that seems fine too[/quotemsg]

If you take out the battery and measure its voltage without a load it could still read 3V even if it in sub-standard condition. It is hard to test and could be influenced by an applied voltage - these cells, up to a point, respond to a charge. The best way is to replace the battery with a new one and see if it works.

Doornobbbb

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

If you take out the battery and measure its voltage without a load it could still read 3V even if it in sub-standard condition. It is hard to test and could be influenced by an applied voltage - these cells, up to a point, respond to a charge. The best way is to replace the battery with a new one and see if it works.[/quotemsg]

I changed the cmos battery last week so I know its got to be good, that's actually when issue began. I went ahead and put the old battery in but still the same

Doornobbbb

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

its a factory dell computer so all I did is set factory defaults in bios and changed the time/date

TRENDING THREADS