Windows 7 corrupt every time I edit HDD setup

SinanDira

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Windows 7 is a wicked EVIL thing! My life with it has been a nightmare for as long as I can remember, in that the slightest change in my hard drive configuration will lead to a corrupt Windows on startup where the auto startup repair can't even detect any Windows installations to begin with!

Hear my story. Today, my brother gave me two of his data hard drives to plug inside my computer so he could access his work while staying over. I was slow to perceive that my PSU doesn't have enough power cables to run 2 additional HDDs to my 3HDDs and 1 SSD (main HHD cache), so I put the operation on hold. However, that was after the 2 new, yet unpowered HDDs were connected to the MoBo's SATA connectors, one vacant and one replaced that of the DVD drive.

In the consequent state, my 3 original hard drives and 1 SSD had not been altered in any way. Only the DVD drive was unplugged and two SATA connectors were connected with the 2 new, unpowered HDDs.

Upon powering up and booting into Windows, it informs me that Windows failed to boot due to a hardware change (WHAT?). Choosing to start normally loads forever (10+ min up from 30-40 sec) and choosing to repair ultimately fails, whether from Windows itself or from the installation DVD. My backup Windows (not on the same drive as the main) just blue-screens straight away.

I undid all of my actions. I unplugged the 2 unpowered hard drives from the MoBo and returned the DVD drive. Beside that, NOTHING changed! Now everything is back to its original state. Guess what, both Windows installations are still corrupt!

I wish someone could explain to me why Windows is so [censored] sensitive and inferior to the point that installing a new hard drive knocks the entire system down! Can someone please explain and help me get out of this (yet again)?

['F' word censored - - watch your language - - this is a family-friendly forum!] :no:

USAFRet

Titan

Something like this:
SATADOCK22UE.E.jpg

Many at Amazon and Newegg. $15 and up.

SinanDira

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I don't understand. Let's say the computer tried to boot from a false hard drive, which was then removed, why should that corrupt Windows? Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be fragile like that?

I am still at 0 progress. I've been tinkering with the recovery disc CMD following some online guides and I just realized that the main disk where Windows is has ceased to be detected; the computer managed to find and try to boot into it before my failed BCD rebuilding operations. Now it does not show in diskpart> list volume.

As for the backup Windows, it shows up on drive E. During the /rebuildbcd command, I am prompted to add it to the boot list, but choosing to do so would yield "The requested system device cannot be found."

Any insights?