Windows 7 crashes after installing the nvidia drivers! (DESPERATE HELP NEEDED)

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Recently my gaming PC stopped working properly as it came up saying a graphic driver had stopped working then had recovered therefore i though it best to re install windows 7 so that the problem hopefully sorted its self out. This was not the case. After re installing, Network and motherboard drivers i decided to download the GPU drivers which then asked me to restart my PC to finish updating, After doing this it could not start again, It just crashed at the "Starting Windows" screen. The only way i can now get onto my PC is by going in safe mode or system restore.

(HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED AS I NEED TO GET PC UP AND RUNNING ASAP)

ps: If anymore information is needed don't feel afraid to ask. I can provide PC Specs if needed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If your system also has an integrated video adapter (or you have another video card), remove the video card and reboot the system (or install the alternate video card). Windows will detect the "new" video device and should start with generic drivers until specific drivers can be installed.

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I think the motherboard comes with a prebuilt basic gpu
Sorry but could you explain what to do a little bit more as im still learning about computers so im not really too familiar with these things.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Power your system down. Disconnect all power sources (power cable, powered speakers, monitor/display). Open the case and remove the video card you tried to load drivers for. Reconnect the power sources disconnected earlier to include connecting your monitor/display to your on-board video ports.

Leave the cover off for now. Restart the system. Assuming it starts and you get into Windows, trying uninstalling the previous drivers that failed.

Before doing all of this, please provide the make/model of you motherboard, CPU, and GPU (video card you trying to install drivers for).

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Motherboard: Will look when possible, i cant remember of hand
CPU: AMD fx4100 Quad Core
GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB Twin Frozr

ps: I think i have to download the drivers from GPU disk as i heard that each GPU has been made to work fine with the disk that comes with as sometime others work with there own disk or something and as the card is msi modded but still a gtx770 i wondered if it would change anything? I My point being i cant use the disk as my disk drive only seemes to work when i first installed all the drivers.

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Alright i will try and get it to work and do you also know how to perform a system restore that resets the PC to factory settings? Just so i can go with a fresh start.

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Well maybe let me check motherboard in a sec but in device manager it has a video controller. The only thing is next to it it sometimes has a yellow image next to it. Also last night I completely took apart my pc so i could do some management and dust them and I noticed that some of the leads in the box that came from the power supply were not conntected such as my disk drive and other things so i am looking into getting a new power supply as from what ive read prebuilt PC's sometimes use bad/cheap power supplies but that may not be the case. Let me check the motherboard if i can. I can also collect all the boxes that came with my PC if you want to know some other things. When I brought my PC it was a prebuilt pc from a Bedir Shop on amazon. There a german company. From what i can tell the PC was made by MS-Tech which is also a german company. This is the PC i originally started with. I have the same everything apart from a new GPU and RAM. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004GY2JAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Yeah but I came across a few discoveries while re-assembling. I found that although there were two sata things on the motherboard but both had missing metal rods where the company (or accidentally me idk) had failed to put the sata cables in, in the first place. Possibly the vibration caused it to happen but i am not sure. This explains why the disk drive was un able to work. Due to this is am looking to buy a new motherboard and PC case, as it is crammed alot in there. Any suggestions on motherboards? I know what case i am going to invest in. Corsair Obsidian 750D. What motherboard would you suggest me getting.

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Yeah I should have room, is it a good case? I usually buy my hardware from AriaPC and SCAN as they both offer good prices as when i brought my GPU i got it for around £300 from SCAN whereas on amazon it was around £500. I am looking for an motherboard around £50-£100 going a little over is alright if its a great difference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is certainly an easy case to build in. Stand by for a motherboard.

However, I don't understand what you are referring to by missing "rods". Can you link a picture of what you are talking about?

You current motherboard is actually pretty decent, otherwise.

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Yeah I should have room, is it a good case? I usually buy my hardware from AriaPC and SCAN as they both offer good prices as when i brought my GPU i got it for around £300 from SCAN whereas on amazon it was around £500. I am looking for an motherboard around £50-£100 going a little over is alright if its a great difference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Claaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Well I am not looking to buy a new CPU as like you said the budget would be too much as if I was to buy a new CPU and Motherboard i would choose a Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz HT along with an ASUS Rampage IV Gene X79 or ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 but that is defiantly not possible at the moment as im 15 and I dont have any sort of job. Do you think I should think about getting a new CPU?
ATM ive got an AMD fx4100 QUAD CORE

If your wanting to tidy things up with a new case, I'd just get that first and install the parts you have now before trying new parts. A new motherboard probably won't fix your original problem, it could simply be the newest driver that was installed both before and after your reinstalled windows 7 is causing the problem. I would reinstall using the older driver that came the disc first. Also, I can't quite tell from your picture, but it looks like 4-pin molex adapters are being used to convert them into the PCI-E connectors on the 770 card. Hard to tell in the picture, but are 2 4-pin molex connectors being converted to the 770 card plug adapter or only 1? I'm looking at picture 4 from your previous post. If a converter is being used and only 1 molex is connected to it supplying the power, that's bad. Should be at least the 2 molex but I can't tell from the picture, even so this is only meant to be used as a temporary hookup from my understanding. Native connections from the PSU is recommended. If your videocard is indeed hooked up this way, you may want to invest in a different power supply at some point.