Windows 7 Dell Reinstallation CD

UltimaBio

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hey guys, I've bought my parts for a custom build and they're all coming tomorrow (can't wait!). I've purchased a cheap (legal, i made sure) version of Windows 7 Professional. It came with a Dell Reinstallation CD and a Product ID key for activating Windows. I'm just curious that the reinstallation disc will work well? I've installed a Windows 7 ISO and burned it onto another CD just in case this Dell one has some problems but should it be okay? Also would a Dell Windows key work with another type of download? A non dell Windows 7 Pro download? Thanks guys :)

Solution
Windows 7 OEM disks are tied to the motherboard the OS was originally installed on (in this case, the original Dell system). Get your money back if you can. BTW, the key is valid if you're re-installing only on that old Dell system.

-Wolf sends

UltimaBio

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Checked with Microsoft, they checked the key and everything and said it was fine to do that. Its an OEM version and not Retail.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Windows 7 OEM disks are tied to the motherboard the OS was originally installed on (in this case, the original Dell system). Get your money back if you can. BTW, the key is valid if you're re-installing only on that old Dell system.

-Wolf sends

Solution

UltimaBio

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

The key is a brand new key, it has never been used. It is given with the re installation disc so I can install it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Contact Microsoft again. Explain to them this is an OEM Dell Re-install disk. If they still say you're ok to use it, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you can purchase a key from Newegg or Amazon. I don't think Microsoft sells them any more.

-Wolf sends