Question Windows 7: Desktop icons on primary display move to secondary display on power up ?

jhayat

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all

This did not happen with the two Acer monitors I just replaced.

I just got 2 x BenQ 25" monitors. They are great - love the way they look.

I have an ASUS Radeon RX560, using HDMI to the main monitor, and DP to the secondary. I have many desktop icons, split about half/half between monitors

Upon power up, all of my icons which are on the primary monitor move to the secondary monitor. How do I resolve this? By powering cycling the computer using the power switch on the PSU.

I have done a fair amount of research, and have found that other people - incl those on W10 - have this issue, but mine seems to be different.

This does not happen, if I turn on the monitors just as W7 boots. If I time it just right, all is well. But if I turn them on too soon, or too long after boot, I run into this issue. If I turn on the monitors before W7 boots, I see the BIOS screen in both. The primary display then goes to sleep, and does not wake up - even after full boot.

During the research, I found a cool app by DisplayFusion, but this does not help here.

I have the latest driver for the monitor and card.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Davidc94

Reputable
Feb 11, 2020
From the sounds of it, it sounds like 1 of your monitors is being detected late but not too sure on this idea. I had this issue at one point too and to get around it, I just moved the icons to where I wanted then did a restart instead of shutdown and it solved my issue. Your milage may vary though. Let me know if it works?

jhayat

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like 1 of your monitors is being detected late but not too sure on this idea.

I'd like to agree with that - do you mean by W7? b/c if not, why then does the BIOS screen appear on both mons at the same time?

This is not a solution but a possible work-around: https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK It allows you to save the icon positions, and restore them later.

That seems cool, but it's not as if both mons are awake; the issue is the primary display is in sleep mode.