Windows 7 doesn't recognize SATA hard drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trath

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
To start, I'd like to say hello, and thank you for reading this.

I built a new computer. Rather expensive, but it should perform well. -Anyway-, I bought a brand new hard drive with the expectation of installing windows 7 on it and then working from there. The hard drive is recognized in the BIOS, the CMOS, and anything at all I've checked, but when I put the windows 7 64 bit disk in and try to do a custom install, seeing as I have nothing on the disk from which to upgrade, my hard drive does not show up in the section in which 7 asks where I want to install.

Motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, hard drive is Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.

The hard drive is plugged into the top SATA port (It has like, 10).

What can I do?

Trath

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

And the problem! The window that says 'Where do you want to install Windows?' has no drives listed. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to list the drive.

Kwiftee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Just so you know I built a computer 2 days ago and had the exact same problem. (motherboard: GA-P55-UD3, hard drive: WD10EADS) The drive appeared in the BIOS but not in the Windows 7 install.

Anyway, I took it into the shop where I got the parts, and they found that the hard drive was faulty. They replaced it, and Windows 7 installed correctly on the new one. ^_^

Kmuzu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Yes yes .. have the exact same problem as described above. Brand new installation of Win 7 64 bit Home on new SATA 500 gig hard drive. Bio recognizes the drive . Formatted the drive .. can access drive from DOS prompt. can copy files to C:. But Win 7 does not see the drive no matter what I do.

Kmuzu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
thank you Kwiftee .. think I will take a quick trip to Walmart and see if I can find a new drive .. This one was an OEM from Fry's and I think was previously loved

mkramer0820

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Had same exact problems with WD caviar blue. went out bought a new hard drive of the same exact type and windows loaded up fine. Also i kept the one that woudn't be read and after windows worked i was able to format that one easily. Not sure if this is a hard drive thing or windows 7 thing. but new HD should do you justice.

trajedyraines

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I am having an almost identical problem but i know my hard drive is still 100% because i tested it now where it really gets me is that i had Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed on for several months, until a windows update started causing errors for a couple days then Windows 7 would no longer load under any boot mode (such as; load normally, safe mode, command prompt) then when loading the installer it hangs for approx. 4 hours before loading the "install now" screen, click custom install, and i can see my Programs HDD, and my Storage HDD, but not my OS HDD (yes i need the drives set up like that, no i can't just put my OS on a different disk. also all my drives are SATA) so i installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the OS HDD and there were no issues, ran tests on the drive, 100% pass. so i decide i'll try again with Windows 7 but no change. So i installed Windows XP x86, no problems ran tests on the drive 100% pass. tried Windows 7 again, but it still won't install.

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.