Windows 7 email program

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodfill

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for the input. I downloaded Incredemail and found it very interesting with the butler who announces my mail. The downside was that I was unable to input contacts from Outlook which-of course, wasn't on that computer. I then tried to work with Windows Live. I could import the contacts but the program insists on downloading a newer version but never seems to install it. Also, Internet Explorer failed in the process. I looked up Thunderbird and only found negative reviews so didn't try it. Outlook 2007 isn't a program I've purchased.

TheViper

Distinguished
I'll never understand the negative views with Thunderbird. Every time I see one it's regarding something that doesn't make sense or is an error on the users part.

It's from the same group that makes Firefox and T-bird 3.0 is launching in a few days.

If you download Windows Live Essentials, you shouldn't have a problem installing the latest version of Windows Live Mail. It imports from Outlook Express and Windows Mail (Vista) quite easily.

I have no problem with Thunderbird, I use Windows Live Mail out of personal preferance.

oldtincanchaser

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

I'm a Thunderbird user, from the time I lost Netscape Mail. Have never had a problem, I love it, and I love Firefox too.

plug199

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

You haven't read the emails then. Just LOOK at what the people are saying. First, it keeps insisting on setting your incoming server as an IMAP4 server. many people use POP3 and to get it to change is an incredibly convoluted and frustrating experience.
Then try importing email addresses. You frequently have to resort to converting to CSV files and hope you get what you need on the import or you end up with a long list of blank contacts (open one and there you'll find the name).
Try importing emails, it works for some folders but not for things like the SENT messages.
It's incredibly unhelpful on the import process as it doesn't tell you where it's looking and doesn't give you any options.
Thunderbird 2 wasn't bad when you actually got it to work. But Thunderbird 3 has a deserved reputation for being slow and buggy. version 2 was slower than just about any other email program at doin some things, but version 3 brings your computer to its knees, before crashing as it frequently does.
This is a problem with users? Get real. It's a problem with the programmers. There are just too many problems with this program to make me or anyone with any sense recommend it to even our worst enemies. The fact that it's from Mozilla makes it puzzling as to how Firefox can be so useful, yet this buggy pile of doggie-do is so totally useless.
It's certainly NOT the fault of the users, it's the problems inherent with this program that cause negative reviews. So please, don't belittle others with your better-than-thou approach. Stop, look, read and smell the flowers, or in this case the pile of ordure the Thunderbird programmers have dished up.

I'd agree that Thunderbird's biggest weakness is in importing data from Outlook Express (and possibly Outlook too, but as I don't have experience with that I can't really comment).

There's plenty of info out there for a reasonably competent person to do the job, but there does needs to be a better process for the computer-phobes of the world.

But all the other aspects of the program are excellent, IMHO.

TheViper

Distinguished

You do know that importing regardless of the email client always sucks? If you're going to call out T-bird for poor importing, you may as well do it for all email clients including Outlook.

As for it being slow, never seen that with anyone using it. I've got an office full of people using it on various computer configurations and we're not dealing with any slowdown or bugs. It simply works. When issues do arise it's almost always a user or network error. So I don't need you telling me to get off my high horse (while you're sitting on your own) given that my opinion was formulated on real world perspectives. What about you? Actual experience? Or just reciting other peoples issues?

plug199

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

If you look at postings on the Mozilla website you'll see quite a few talk about Thunderbird being slow. You might be talking about Thunderbird 2, but 3 is slower in many cases. I talk only about 3 because that's all you can find on the Mozilla site.

As for importing, I'd have to agree, few if any email programs import well. It's just that Thunderbird is particularly bad. It can be hard to get mail from Thunderbird on one drive into Thunderbird on another drive. What about the simple option of giving the user a choice of where to direct Thunderbird to look for the files it claims to be able to import? The total lack of feedback fromthe program and this simple change make it a frustrating experience. It's simply BAD PROGRAMMING.

And as for your calling me out regarding real world perspectives, I happen to adminsister several small networks, and I service the computers of dozens of other people. A single office... ? I wish that's what I had to look after then I wouldn't rack up 100k+ miles on my van in less than 2 years.

Still, I have neither the time nor the inclination to enter into some sort of flame war with you. If I upset you I apologise. I did write in a time of extreme frustation with Thunderbird and perhaps I came on too strong.

Be well.

I never had an issue importing mail with Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail. Just point it to the right folder and you're all set. The one time I've set up Thunderbird I didn't have issues either... but then it was only one time. I haven't had an opportunity to (or felt the need to) try Thunderbird 3.

Lee Gordon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi, You seem to be very knowledgeable regarding Thunderbird 3.1.4. I am a newbee and cannot figure out how to SHARE the Windows-7 X64 "contacts" folder with Thunderbird. Converting the contact list to a flat CSV file loses all the GROUP information, also wastes additional disk space when imported into Thunderbird, and it does not appear to have file synchronization capabilities. If it is possible to do any of the above in Thunderbird 3x could you supply a short tutorial on how.
Thanks - Lee Gordon lhgordon@cox.net

Status
Not open for further replies.