Windows 7 Entering Extended Support in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
When was the last time Win 7 offered any cool new features? I've been using it since launch and I haven't noticed anything. Either way, it's the new old faithful in my book.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Really, it's a shame Windows 8's gotten such bad press. My wife just picked up a new laptop with 8 on it, and we gave it a fair chance at being a usable OS, and it honestly is. It took tinkering, but most OS's do. Disable the touchscreen and all the Metro gubbins, and it's really quite nice. It's just an enhanced, more efficient Windows 7, really. We'll see what Windows 9 has to offer, though.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the vast majority of users are perfectly fine with windows 7 the way it is and wouldn't notice any extra add on features anyhow. I mean look at xp it stop having mainstream support for new features a long time ago and people were still perfectly fine with it. I mean the only users that would be effected is your gaming enthusiast that utilize features like Direct X. hopefully windows 9 or windows 8.2 or whatever they are going to call it will be a good upgrade.

"Disable the touchscreen and all the Metro gubbins, and it's really quite nice.".. LOL.. so basically win 7 without the start button features. MS REALLY dropped the ball with WIn 8 for desktop users who want use mouse/key... and that is inexcusable. They look to be trying fix for threshold.. lets hope so .. or I will be on Win 7 for a while yet!

dstarr3

Distinguished
"Disable the touchscreen and all the Metro gubbins, and it's really quite nice.".. LOL.. so basically win 7 without the start button features. MS REALLY dropped the ball with WIn 8 for desktop users who want use mouse/key... and that is inexcusable. They look to be trying fix for threshold.. lets hope so .. or I will be on Win 7 for a while yet!

Windows 8's biggest problem has been that people are being dissuaded from it by the criticisms of people who've never actually used it.

schwatzz

Distinguished
The Metro design does not work with a non touch screen laptop. For a tablet it is fine. Windows 9 should return back to the Windows 7 layout but obviously with a contemporary UI and graphics.

Hope you not including me in that.. I upgraded my desktop for a short while hated it..
Ran it on a work machine for a while.. it was a tablet device.. and while in tablet/touch mode was OK/good.. but when docked and used connected to mouse/key.. hated it.
When used in Mouse/key mode.. its a kludge.. I know it.. and MS know it.. which is why they looking to fix it.
Cheers

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Ubuntu already has my work computer with Steam OS and Mantle progressing every month Ms isn't long from total banishment in my home.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Windows 8's biggest problem has been that people are being dissuaded from it by the criticisms of people who've never actually used it.

Windows 8's biggest problem is that it broke all the rules of proper design in a single fell swoop. I put some serious effort into trying to like Windows 8. But the fact that Microsoft decided to hide all the features that those of use who actually use a computer use just made it too painful (almost reminds me of learning emacs). Windows 7 works well with some minor customization, Windows 8 needs a triple bypass to be usable.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Windows 8's biggest problem is that it broke all the rules of proper design in a single fell swoop. I put some serious effort into trying to like Windows 8. But the fact that Microsoft decided to hide all the features that those of use who actually use a computer use just made it too painful (almost reminds me of learning emacs). Windows 7 works well with some minor customization, Windows 8 needs a triple bypass to be usable.

I'll give ms credit, they have been trying to fix Windows 8 over the past updates to make it more user friendly, i'll give them credit for that. Windows 8 was a big learning curve for many users in the way it functioned. Windows 8.1 fixed some of the issues people were complaining about with Windows 8. Windows 8.1 update 1 fixed even more issues. So i'll give credit where credit is due here with microsoft actually listening to the consumers issues with these updates. Is Windows 8.x perfect? of course not but with each passing update it is making Windows 8.x more and more user friendly. Adding a real start menu would be the next big thing, but that maybe held off until Windows 9 or Windows 8.2 or whatever they are going to call it.

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Honestly, what are these famed 'start menu features'? I was skeptical of Win 8 at first but after a year of use it just seems a quicker booting version of Windows 7 with some (relatively minor) UI changes.
Obviously, metro is good for nothing on a desktop PC, but I don't get what the start menu offered that the start screen doesn't, and other than that the changes don't seem to be that huge to me.

I would genuinely like to know what it is that makes Windows 8.1 so awful to many of you.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I wonder how many of that 25% of windows XP computers are businesses. In the pharmaceutical industry, migrating to Windows 7 has been a slow and costly project.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
It is not about the learning curve (at least for me) it still is a matter of "clicks required for doing what I need". Disliked the 8.0 on the desktop and mostly liked the 8.1 on my surface pro. That said is way more recover friendly than 7 and adds some pretty functions in general. It feels more solid too.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Is this mean MS will stop making service pack for Windows 7? Because now it is pretty ridiculous that after finish install a fresh Windows 7 w/ SP1, there are at least 160+ updates need to apply. Even that POS Vista had 2 service packs released. Remember this Windows 7 will keep having fix until 2020!! It looks like M$ do this (by not releasing newer service pack) to annoy you upgrade to newer windows.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Please, please, do not add any new "features" to Win 7, if that would make it any more like Win 8 (point so what). From my point of view, there is not one single feature of Win 8 that I consider an improvement over 7.

Needing an account at the MS store just to install a service pack? I can live without that. Needing an account at the MS store to play Solitaire? I can live without that. Needing to turn off and uninstall a mess of blinky Metro "apps" to banish useless bandwidth wasters? I can live without that. Having a schizophrenic OS that can't decide whether it wants to be an Apple clone or something less simplistic and more customizable? I can live without that. "Native" apps that for all the world seem like throwbacks to Windows 3.1? I can live without those. Faster boot times that just mean you are hibernating rather than truly restarting? Yeah, my SSD has that covered, the extra 0.2 second to actually boot is worth the wait. A locked down UEFI that means I have to jump through hoops to dual boot? I can live without that just fine too, thanks anyway.

In short, yes, please do enter extended support for Win 7 tomorrow, if that means you will just provide security updates and not make it more like 8.

If MS thinks killing off XP is difficult, just wait until they try to kill 7!

Personally, I love Windows Phone 8 and Win 8 on a tablet, but every time I have to use it on a desktop, I just keep thinking how idiotic the design is.

I tend to not upgrade things until I have a compelling reason to and so far, there is nothing in Windows 8/8.1 that makes me feel any need to change from 7. Maybe 9 will have something, but from what I have read and seen of it so far, it's just a polished Windows 8. Similar to how 7 is a completed and polished Vista. I am keeping an open mind about 9, but so far, nothing compelling.

(Funny, I just spent several hours today 7/9/14 upgrading 6 computers from Windows 8 to Windows 7 for a client. Note: It was by their request after trying 8.1 for 3 months and hating every part of it.)

aule10

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if microsoft only want money and don't care about their customers. windows 8 was a bad idé, with a bad concept, and yes i have it on my laptop. when they stop fully support of windows 7, they screw about 50% of their customers, and try force them to go buy a system they don't want. I hope they don't screw up windows 9, because if they do, i am afraid the will loose a lot of the computer clientele.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Tell that to my 50 customers who bought windows 8 machines only after a week after looking at videos and reading books just to use windows 8 "GET THAT THING OFF MY MACHINE! I HATE IT!" they all said same thing.
I sold a whole 4 windows 8 , 300 of windows 7, i make more money removing windows 8 and downgrading to windows 7.
I have 30 business clients all they will buy is windows 7 laptops and desktops not one single company i have would use windows 8 some tried it and was not compatible with custom software they were using.
I even have customers that bought windows 8 computers from other big box stores drop by after a month and downgrade windows 8 to windows 7.
Failure rate on windows 8 to upgrade 8.1 is huge i have new customers show up with machines that no longer boot after upgrading window 8 to 8.1.
The fact that Microsoft has made a patch to fix windows 8 to 8.1 months after shows that they dropped the ball on proper testing.
I think because Microsoft has no competition they are becoming lazy and what "Features" are they taking about Microsoft not putting in windows 7 in this article there has been no new features in windows 7 since release??.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I have both Windows 7 and 8, one on my desktop the other on my non touchscreen laptop, and it's really not all that different. I don't use them any differently at all. Sure, it takes 2 extra clicks to shut down, but everything else is basically the same to me. I just stick in desktop mode and when I want something I hit the start key and type the name of what I want exactly like Windows 7s start menu. As far as I'm concerned tthat's the most important feature I need. It's only when I need something obscure that I might occasionally need to do a little digging to find where it is, but that's the same with any Os, even if I were to go back to XP I might find that difficult, and I used it for a good 10 years!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Upgrading to win8 isn't that big a change from win7 after some configuration. The default settings of win8 seems to shock people into the illusion of something completely different but defacto it's still windows with the stuff all windows does. Only the start button can't change back to the old menu but if you picture the old menu in tiles spread of across the screen then it's essentially the same. need run? just use start+r.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS