Windows 7 error: Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pewpewlazors99

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
"Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again."

I get this error after a failed attempt at installing something. I run an installer, it then gets stuck at "initializing". I wait 10mins, then try to cancel the installer, it doesn't cancel so then I force close it. I wait a few minutes after its been closed and try to run another installer(including the same one) and I get the message "Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again". No matter how long I wait this message continues to reappear. I then try to shut down the computer, which doesn't work. It loops at "Shutting down" until I either force it off, or it gets a BSOD if I wait long enough.

No other program running, no services running, this happens randomly when installing different programs.

BSOD error: Power Driver state failure. I only get this BSOD after I attempt to shut down the computer.

I have tried this fix:
1-From Start menu run services.msc
2-Find WindowsInstaller from the services link.
3-If you see it is started and set to automatic, disable it.
4-Re-start your pc.
5-Again go to services.msc.
6-Set WindowsInstaller to start as "Manual".

It did not fix the problem.

I had another issue with this machine which turned out to be bad ram. Thread located here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2040382/fresh-windows-install-problems-bsod-windows-updates-issues.html

Been looking for a solution and have not been able to find one. Thank you in advanced for the help!

Computer specs:
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX/EPS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 696 Power Supply GS700
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600Mhz PC3 12800 Desktop Memory CMV8GX3M2A1600C11
MB: Asus Z87-A DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
SSD(Boot drive):Seagate 600 SSD 120 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch 7mm Z-Height Solid State Drive ST120HM000
HDD(Storage): Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 AMP Edition OC 3GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card (ZT-70203-10P)
Optical: ASUS Blu-Ray Reader/ DVDRW Combo

Solution
Your Windows Installer files are corrupt. Unregister and reregister the files as below:

1. Click Start, type "Command Prompt".
2. Right click it from search results, select "Run as administrator".
3. Type following commands, press ENTER:
msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regserver

4. Close it.

Scan Windows Installer settings and repair them. Use this utility to repair Windows Installer settings.

pewpewlazors99

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

No viruses, although I am running NOD32 and I have heard that the anti-virus itself could cause issues similar to this. But I haven't found much more infomation on it.

My RAM has already been replaced, which hardware should I start at next to do the testing? I have a feeling I need to run some tests on my MB, but I'm not sure how.

I've reinstalled Windows a few times on this system, this time round it went the smoothest it could possibly go. I don't want to try another install until I'm sure it could be nothing else. But thank you for the advice.

pewpewlazors99

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

That's good to hear! Although I did forget to include one detail. When I run a random installer, it sometimes will get stuck at "initializing" I then wait 10mins, decide to try to cancel the install, which it doesn't. I then force close the installer. After, I try to install something else(or the same thing) and I get this error/shutdown/bsod problem.

Not sure if that changes anything, but I won't worry about this to much unless it keeps happening.

SophieEdward

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Driver power state failure / Driver power state failure Windows 8 belongs to Blue Screen of Death Error. Windows users experience it because of outdated drivers, hardware incompatibility and several other reasons.

Following solutions would help you deal with this error in a better manner:-

- Update drivers
- Run Windows update
- Uninstall conflicting security software
- Run System file checker tool
- Clean corrupt Windows Registry keys

Source:-
Google
http://naumanlodhi.blogspot.com/2013/04/driver-power-state-failure-driver-power.html

pewpewlazors99

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Will do, although I am running windows 7.

George420

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Your Windows Installer files are corrupt. Unregister and reregister the files as below:

1. Click Start, type "Command Prompt".
2. Right click it from search results, select "Run as administrator".
3. Type following commands, press ENTER:
msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regserver

4. Close it.

Scan Windows Installer settings and repair them. Use this utility to repair Windows Installer settings.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.