Windows 7 Expanding Files Error (Installation Canceled 0%)

nvanson010

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
I've recently built a brand new PC and everything had been going smoothly until it came to my copy of Windows 7.

Firstly, (and a minor problem that I found a temporary solution to) is that while my USB keyboard and mouse work in BIOS, they stop working in the Windows 7 install menus. I pulled out an old PS/2 keyboard and have managed to tab through the menus with it.

Secondly, and most frustrating, is that after choosing a Custom Install for a brand new system, the installation gets to Extruding Files, gets stuck at 0%, then gives the following error:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

I've been working at this issues for the past 4 hours, have looked at any plausible solution online and have had no success.

I don't believe it is an issue with any hardware as some have suggested it could be faulty RAM, but that hasn't lined up with the errors I've been receiving.

NOTE: I have used this installation disk before for a previous custom build and it worked flawlessly. I read that I could use it more than once as long as I have another activation code, but I haven't even reached the activation code step before running into this error.

Some (not all) of the fixes I have tried:

Deleting Partitions
Locating the driver manually and booting setup
Double checking RAM install
Setting boot in BIOS to the DVD drive and/or SSD
Even taking disk out and putting it back in during installation as someone suggested

I have not tried it yet, but I am currently trying to install an OS on a USB to try instead of DVD, but I doubt it will work because it wouldn't recognize my USB mouse or keyboard.

The system specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 1600X
ASRock AB350
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB
Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Attempting to install OS on a Samsung 256GB SSD.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have been mulling over this for hours.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my issue!

nvanson010

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you mean try a different USB port? Or use an actual different USB.

I've tried switching things around in the ports and they still don't work.

GrowTFM

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

a different usb stick

nvanson010

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. I was attempting to install windows 7 at the time being but I decided to give windows 10 a try.

I downloaded the ISO file onto a USB then booted from there, everything worked fine. I don't know why but it fixed all my keyboard and mouse problems and I no longer received any errors.